1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

17.HMR

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by buckhunting101, Dec 26, 2007.

1. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

Got a 17.HMR for Christmas.Sighted it in today.Now im driving tacs with it at 100 hundred yards after only 15 shots.Watch out foxes and coyotes.

2. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Did you break in the barrel?

3. buckhunting101

yup

4. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

unless your gonna head shoot them, you will be dissapointed. I had one, and it sucked for killing this type of animal unless you head shot them, i prefer not to head shoot them, for obvious reasons, it will however cut a squirrel in half ;D LOL. i now use my 223 for varmint hunting, as the 204 i have was the same way as the 17, you had to track and usually a follow up shot was required, the 223 lays em down right where they are standing. Russ

5. buckhunting101

thanks for the input i guess ill be in for a bit more of a challenge.lol

6. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

I'm with Russ, if your going to use that 17 on coyotes or bobcats, you will have to be very precise when placing your shot. I owned a Marlin 17VS that I varmint hunted with for a while and shot several coyotes with it.If you are going to be hunting yotes with it,I would suggest that you use the CCI hollow points, they worked really well.

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

Yeah, I had a customer bring in a big squirrel to mount that he shot with that cal. He said the damage wasn't real bad!(LOL) Judging from the exit hole in the side of the head, he should've kept it to eat!

8. buckhunting101

I went squirrel hunting with it this morning.At 100 yards lets just say that i tore that squirrel a new a hole.O well back to .22 hunting for squirrels and leve the .17 for predators.