1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wires or no wires?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by monbuck8, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Was just curious how many taxidermists use wires in the wings of there birds when they do standing mounts? I have done both ways and it seems like the result is the same in the end.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I do not use wires in standing bird wings. Even the smallest wire size keeps me from getting wings placed to suit me. I simply pin them.

3. Pin in place. Wings are much easier to work with.

4. mountman

mountman New Member

Iowa
    pin them just like the other 2 stated and for the same reasons.

5. uk taxidermist

uk taxidermist Member

up to what sized bird would you pin ? I have always wired everything but may give pinning a try

6. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

I pin all my birds, even up to the size of eagles!

7. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

i pin all my small bird wing's finches ,thrush's ect up to the size of a little owl .i set the humerus bone into power bond adhesive and pin em up once the adhesive in set the wing's are going nowhere and i remove the pin's . i also put adhesive up inside the wing where i'v inverted it .the radius and ulna.. this also help's to set and hold the wing's in place... ;)

8. bw

bw New Member

I have used both. I pinning is definately easier, but I have better results with wiring. You can avoid that "pinched" wing look by using wires. The secret is in the wire you use. You must be able to bend it easily, and it must hold that bend without springing back. The black annealed wire will accomplish this.

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I used to pin until I tried a light gauge annealed wire, it's very easy to bend. I like the results I get with it better.

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

bw, I hadn't read your response when I posted. You said it better ;)

11. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

I now pin all my small birds, but I use wire in larger birds.

12. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

On a duck sized bird I will use a 18 g wire as I found that it keeps my humerous in place but will no restrict my wing placement, then I will pin it.

13. wildwings

wildwings New Member

OK I guess I will be the odd ball. I wire every bird I mount (all duck size or bigger) It helps be with 2 things putting the bones where they need to be and not being able to move the wing to a position it shouldn't be. It however took me a while to figure out how to do it the right way. However at the ITA show Carmen Hermer (hope thats right) mounted a mallard. Any how she bent the wing down to the shape before putting it into the wing pocket. Then after the side pocket were dried she slid the front into the pocket and the pocket covered the wing just like it should have been. It was the easiest way I have seen. Don't get me wrong I have tryed pinning but then you pin it to tight so you have to pull the pins out alittle ect. Any how who knows in a year or so maybe I will switch again.

14. Skip Miller

Skip Miller New Member

I use a wire to attach the wing to the body. The wire is only attach to the humerus. The rest is left free to be pined later. I then pin my scaps in the proper location and set the wing.

15. bw

bw New Member

Right on Becky.

And Wildwings....it Helmer. But you were close.

When were you at the ITA show? It must have been a while ago. I can't remember the last seminar Carmen did was two years ago and there were three of us mounting ducks simultaneously. It was really neat. I must have missed her mallard seminar.

16. wildwings

wildwings New Member

ITA being Iowa Taxidermy Assoc. I knew it was Helmer but hit wrong letter I think I should proof read half or my post before sending them to the forums. She was the bird judge last 2-3 years.

17. bw

bw New Member

wildwings.

I see. I thought you had been to Illinois. We have had Cory here in IL. He has been a good judge and an easy guy to get along with.

18. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Usually wire all,but I have increased pinning on my birds. And if I wire,I use pretty thin wire. Have to admit,it's lot of easier if not wired,but I think you may more easily end up in wrong position,or what you think?

19. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

I don´t agree with that taxi, because you actually can´t go wrong if your artificial body is of the correct size.

20. mountman

mountman New Member

Iowa
    Carmen did that this yr 07 I'm thinking..
    I can't wait for next yrs show ...but I haven't started anything yet hahha....
    Jeff