1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tanneries - everybody contribute

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by oldterryr, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Lonestar woll and fur. David patton and i came to an agreement about me trying them out after they were recommended to me. So far the bears i got back were outstanding. I dry tanned them for rugs and believe it or not after soaking in a rehydration bath for about 15 minutes, they were soft enough to mount, did not even have to swet overnight. I am getting back a bunch of wet tanned WT this week, and am sure they will also be fine, but will comment wen they arrive. Turnaround time has been tewrrific, and happy to do business with them. Switched because i was tired of KEYSTONE SCREWUPS, AND NEVER OFFERING A DAMN ADJUSTMENT OR REPLACEMENT WHEN THEY SCREWED IT UP. iT WAS ALWAYS( MY FAULT), when they shaved huge gaps across the fur side??? Excuses excuses!!!

2. Wayne D

Wayne D New Member

Moyle for garment and waiting for the answer for taxidermy tan,had a horrible experience with tannery last year.

3. Well got my whitail capes back today, and they are terrific from david Patton,. Leather is white with incredible stretch, and No blown out ears!1 Terric stuff!!

4. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Lonestar wool and fur, do they have a website?

5. freddy d

freddy d New Member

Furs for fun Rupert Idaho great tan good turn around reasonable price

6. juli

juli Active Member

what about tanneries for small mammals?

Juli

7. I've been using Carolina Fur Dressing for over 20 years, with no complaints !

8. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

I have used 5 different tanneries. The wildlife gallery, up until last year I was satisfied with them, I could only get about half the capes to strech back to my measurements, and I `ve alays had an issue with them cutting through with the blade around eyes nose and mouth.
    Wildlife fur dressing in CA. I had sent an equal number to the last year and the stretch was great easily stretched to, and past my measurments. Spent a little more time thinning facial areas. The cost of shipping though is to much.
    Sivco Fur, did not care for at all, I do not think the shaved my hides at all. This was 5-7 years ago now.
    Carolina good tan, Last tan was 16 years ago will try them this year on some
    Seminole fur havent used for ten years, because of 2 years of poor results half or more capes with major slipping, thinned so much the a couple of deer capes ripped apart while pulling for strech. There were always patches of hair that stood straight up and nothing would keep that hair down, tried everything short of super glue.
    It is best to find the most consistent tannery that is the closest to you to save on the HIGH shipping charges.

9. passthebuck

passthebuck New Member

MA
    Wilderness Fur Dressing out of Ronkonkoma,NY

10. East Coast Tannery, Telford, PA.

11. bw

bw New Member

I happened upon this thread and was surprised to see Pete Sweitzers name mentioned. Pete is the only person that I would gladly beg to take my capes to. I have had some bad experiences with tanneries in the past (noted in the archives) and I will mention names (MicroTan). But Pete's tan is by far and wide the best I have ever used. The stretch is unmatchable and the hair is clean. If he makes more than two holes he sews them all up. And if he shaves through a spot he repairs that as well.

Not to mention that whatever he uses in his tan smells wonderful. HIS CAPES MAKE MY SHOP SMELL NICE!!!

As far as uncertain turnaround times......don't wait until you need to mount deer to take them to the tanner.

I just wish Pete still tanned commercially.

12. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i also know pete personally and have seen his work up close and personal - nicest guy you would ever want to meet - can turn a deer cape and flesh faster than humanly possible

13. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Is Mr. Sweitzer still located in Illinois?

14. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

K&K Tannery in Jonesville, Michigan.

Had great results and great people to work with.

Thanks to Gary, Jeff and the rest of the Kies Krew.

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Pete is in Illinois, he called me just the other day! And I spoke to I think Gary from KK awhile back, also a very nice guy!

16. bw

bw New Member

HAAA.....I am going to start callig Pete, "Mr. Sweitzer". I bet that will make him feel old.
    He is still in Illinois. In fact he is the current president of our association.

17. RAS

RAS Member

AL
    would all the negative comments be positive comments for a pressure tanner and doing them in house? how many capes/hides would one have to do a year to justify cost of one?

18. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

pete in in toledo illinois - a giant metropolis in the heart of illinois

19. buckstop

buckstop New Member

Sivko Furs in Canisteo, N,Y have been doing my capes and hides for the last two years. Great people to work with, capes have unbelievable stretch. Excellent turn around time.

20. gab

gab Active Member

I appreciate that we're able to keep this post 90% positive,instead of becoming a bashfest.I'd like to know when someone likes a tan,are they using the tanneries dry or wet tan.with some tanneries there is a huge difference,for some reason.I have treid the dry tan at some tanneries that have been raved about with so-so results,to find out the ravers were using the wet tan.I've had some tanneries even tell me which of their tans is best.For instance,I use wildlife fur and i prefer trheir dry tan,but I'm using their wet tan right now because of the much better turnaround.