1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dorsal skinning a lifesize Bobcat & Beaver (Beaver pics added)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by michael p., Dec 28, 2007.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

There was a young man the day before yesterday that asked for a tutorial on dorsal skinning. This is just the way I do it, some others may have better way's and/or advice so please add your 2 cents if you do. I will post the Bobcat today & then add the Beaver & Fox in a few day's. Hope this helps some beginners understand dorsal cut skinning for lifesize mammals.

BTW, I usually do not dorsal skin cats (most fox & all beavers I do though) I split the belly & leg's for I have found it a lot easier to modify or alter my form, totally prep it & then apply & Taxi the hide. But for this particular mount I am using a dorsal incision because it will work better for the form & mount I am doing for the customer.

[​IMG]

Start by splitting the cat down the back from the bottom part of the neck to a couple of inches above the base of the tail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

start skinning around every reachable area & then snip the tail off at the base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I prefer to spray the skin with Stop-Rot while skinning
    [​IMG]

Keep skinning around & make a 1 1/2" - 2" cut right above the pads in the feet (this allows easier skinning & easy insertion & modeling of clay when mounting) DO NOT CUT THE PADS!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to the feet, I prefer to remove the toes while skinning, not later during fleshing. Get as much done now while you can!

Start by skinning down as far as you can & then snipping the toes off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then split the toe & foot bone for easy removal
    [​IMG]

Skin on down & remove the toe bone & the very bottom joint, you can snip right in between the cartilage with ease.
    [​IMG]

After all the toes have been removed, move up to the head & skin. On the ears, skin & split them as far as you can while attached to the head....this gives you weight leverage of the cat to help you skin, and then later you will not have as much prep & splitting work to do. The less you have to touch the ears with your warm hands, the less chance you have of the ear hair slipping After splitting as far as possible, the remove the ear from the head as close to the base as possible. After that, finish skinning the skin away from the head until completely removed.
    [​IMG]

Cut off at base
    [​IMG]

This is what your finished skin & body should look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    Re: Dorsal skinning a lifesize Bobcat, Beaver & Fox. (picture tutorial)

hey why do you snip the tail? i have a tail stripper i zip the bone right out with it on the carcass, 2 seconds and done... just wondering if you have a method to your madness...lol

3. michael p.

Just the way i've always done it. I've never tried one of those tail zip's, but a few tears ago I was stripping the tail out while still attached to the body & I guess I applied the wrong pressure some where & the thing shot sh*t all over me! I think i'll still do it the stone age way :)

4. crankin

crankin New Member

WI

get your self one man, it makes life easier, especially with the yotes!

5. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

yep i do everything just about like you do michael, with the exception of what colin said, i have a tail zipper to, and it is a great tool especially for them long tailed critters, as far as it shootin crap all over ya, it wouldnt be the first time, and probably wont be the last, just dont stand there with your mouth open, or you wont want dinner that night ;D. I actually have never had one do what you described, LOL

6. crankin

crankin New Member

WI

LOL, i cant say that i have had one do that either, what you doin to that critter to make it do that??? lol, i think it is the best 3.00 you can spend, give it another try Michael...i also dont snip the toes, for me its easier to use the body for weight, but i get the rearend skinned then hang them from a gramble, just so im not bending over all the time.

7. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

im not bent over either colin, its called a stainless steel topped skinning table and chair, LOL i am sittin on my softspot while i skin, LOL

8. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

stuff their chutes with a paper towel...no more flying caca !

9. Re: Dorsal skinning a lifesize Bobcat, Beaver & Fox. (picture tutorial)

ROTFLMAO

Good deal Michael, I like it when folks do these pictorials. I am going to be altering some fawn forms in a bit I may do one on that.

10. Re: Dorsal skinning a lifesize Bobcat, Beaver & Fox. (picture tutorial)

Thanks Michael P. It's always a great thing to watch the methods of someone with more experience. I can't wait to see the rest of them.

11. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Great tutorial Michael! This would be a great help to beginners. The only thing I do differently is I don't make relief cuts in the feet. With a little practice, cat feet are pretty easy to invert (unlike canines). When I go to mount, rather the coat the legs of the form with hidepaste and risk getting it on the fur (always annoying), I simply take a big dollop of paste and push it down in leg itself .. squish it around till it gets all the way down in the foot. Makes things less messy. And just less darned sewing to have to deal with.

12. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA

MP, thanks for this tutorial. looking forward to more. I have only done game heads and planned on trying some small mammals this winter. Am going to get some videos but this also helps greatly. Appreciate it!

13. michael p.

I've tried it that way Amy, but I like to be able to shove my finger up there (Gosh that sounds terrible ::) :p ) and work the clay....kinda shape my foot before I slide the leg's on. That's what'sw cool about this though, different strokes work for different folk's & if you're a beginner I suggest you try both ways. I know a guy n Kerrville who think's any relief cut is for sissies!! LOL

14. Re: Dorsal skinning a lifesize Bobcat, Beaver & Fox. (picture tutorial)

Absolutely Incredible that the more experienced on here take the time to share all this info for us beginners to learn . Thank you Michael P!!!

15. Mason

Mason Active Member

Thanks for your time you spent on that Michael!

Mason

16. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Good job Mike, that will be very helpful to the beginners.

17. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

nice job

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Michael, two things:

1) why on God's green earth would you EVER dorsal skin a beaver? Once you cut the damned tail off, you've already got him most tube cut anyway.

2) on the Bobcat and fox. IF you insist on using the dorsal, I usually take masking tape. I lay the animal on it's belly and with a piece long enough to span from the ears to the tail, I stretch it in both hands, set it down on the center line until the fur sticks and then pull it away from the center. Then I take a SECOND piece and do the same thing on the other side. Now I have the hair "parted where I can see the skin. I begin my incision at the head and only cut 3-4 inches. At that point, I take a black Sharpie pen and push it into the end of my cut. Once stained, I continue my original cut for 3-4 and repeat the step. When the animal is completely cut open, I now have specific index marks that will last through tanning and will assist me when I begin to sew that sucker up. It eliminates a lot of puckering and misalignment during sewing. BTW, I repeat the tape trick before I start sewing as well. It keeps the hair out of the thread and allows me to see the skin aligning back up. Works especially well on bears though I usually take my scalpel and make a small cross-cut instead of the Sharpie.

19. 11th hour

11th hour Member

Good tips George. I'll give that tape a try on my next one. Great tutorial Michael. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

20. michael p.

Because the belly on this thing is almost as big as your's George ;) & I aint gonna fight the thing. My fireline will make an invisible seam & 20" isn't much to sew. I may be dumb, but I like the ease of not twisting & fighting. George, I am a little confused on how you would get the body on through the tail section if that is what you are implying, could you clarify a little for me ???

I'll post my pic's when I finish up at the viewing tonight & then you can throw all your 2 cent's in. Like I said, that is what is so great about this, no 2 ways are right & maybe you al can learn something fom me & I can learn something from you.