1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wrapping maammals - i have grey fox

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by oldterryr, Dec 29, 2007.

1. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i have a grey fox skinned ventrically that i am completely constructing body abd legs from excelsior - i am using an ozark woods change out head (lots of modification) - i have learned a lot of do this and dont do that on this project so bear with pics when i publish them - next will be way better and i hope) much faster - will have pics up by sunday - did the best i could with ears (full of skinning holes- couldnt turn any further) they were horrible - bot this fox off of one of the oldtimers b4 he retired - feet really suck too by i feel its important to follow thru on this first one and do my best

2. Lookin' forward to seeing those pics!

3. oldterryr

i got him mounted - will publish early in week - skin had some other problems i didnt know about or see when i started - 2 slips plus feet on horrible (bot this fox about 4 years ago and threw it in freezer ) - i went ahead and finished it anyway just to get the experience - learned a bunch of stuff to do and not to do - your really need carcass as opposed to doing it by guess - learned how to anchor legs solidly for med. mammals too - this one sort of turned out like my first deer.........$hitty looking but lots of learning - had some anatomy problems too - ah well live and learn

4. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Re: wrapping mammals - i have grey fox

Me too!

5. oldterryr

i have a frozen coon (body and all) i'm going to do the wrap (rap) to

6. oldterryr

here's my pitiful first animal - everything wrapped except i used a ozark woods replacement head (that is a mistake in itself)

no criticism necessary i can see all of the problems - i felt it was necessary to complete this guy so i would learn what to correct next time - i am working on an all wrapped coon next with a mck change out head

7. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Terry,if you are going to be wrapping or carving bodies you should get in the habit of making some carcass tracings with measurements.Even if you didn't have a tracing of THAT fox,a tracing would have helped you a lot.These drawings are valuable reference and can also be used to show you flaws in existing forms.You can make notes on them regarding eye size,tail length etc..[​IMG]

8. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

terry ..you should check out the snowdonia videos on traditional manakin making [wrapping] you will learn a lot and get much better result's.. ;)

9. oldterryr

the whole problem was i DIDNT HAVE CARCASS to use - where do you get the snowdonia videos

10. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

terry. snowdonia taxidermy supplies is based in the uk. they are a supply company and ship world wide.they have a website check out the taxidermist's web pages on taxidermy .net you will find em on there. the videos are very helpful and informative and you'l be wrapping great mammal's in no time. ;) :)

11. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

That was my point.If you had carcass drawings on hand,those could have been used when you didn't have the carcass.I consider carcass drawings as important as any of my reference.They aren't just for building bodies.Sometomes you have to troubleshoot store bought forms too.Reference.A good death mask wil help with the head work too.