1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Unique Squirrel

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Mink, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Mink

Mink New Member

This gray squirrel was hit by a car in my neighborhood. It's really unique, I've never seen one with markings like this. It has 3 round, orange-colored spots on its back, and the tail has a lot of black coloration in it. It also seems a lot larger than the other squirrels I've seen around here, its 12" long, and most of the other gray squirrels I've measured have been about 7"-9". Has anyone seen anything like this before?
    I'm going to try and mount it in a pose that displays the spots really well.
    [​IMG]

2. GrayFox

GrayFox New Member

Wow, that certainly is unique!

3. Forrest Sue

Forrest Sue New Member

You didn't show it's head but it probaly a Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger). They are very common along the Eastern States. Use ot be color specific for Northern and Southern states but they have intermingled so instead of pure black or black with a white face and orange and grey, they are now mixed.

4. Mink

Mink New Member

Fox squirrels are rare in the area where this one was killed; and it has the definite face of a gray squirrel (a rather flattened face, but its a gray squirrel's face nonetheless) and underneath it is pure white like a gray squirrel. Once I mount the squirrel I can post better pictures, but at the moment it's entire front end is quite bloody and not exactly a pretty sight!
    Is it possible for gray squirrels and fox squirrels to interbreed?

5. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

No they have different gestation periods.

6. Mink

Mink New Member

Well, I guess I just have a mutant squirrel then!

7. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

....i think the other squirrles threw him under the bus...(tired of him eating their children)...man that guy is huge!

8. GrayFox

GrayFox New Member

Post a picture of the mount when its finished!