1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is fresh turkey head worth?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RoyalOaksRanch, Sep 5, 2006.

1. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I am about about to process some of my turkeys and was wondering what a fresh turkey head would be worth?
    Ill have probably 4 to 8 fresh heads. THey would be from black spanish, merriams and royal palms. Maybe a bourbon red. All look the same regardless of breed. I would cut them off well below the feather line to insure plenty of work space. But they wouldnt be freeze dried, just vacuum sealed and frozen individually.
    AS I dont plan on doing any turkeys myself yet I was thinking maybe Id offer them frozen to someone who might could use them? What would be a fair price to ask?
    Rae

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I cant remember where right now, but a freeze dryer was offering $5 for raw heads. They are not worth anything until they are freeze dried. A strut dried head runs around $60. You may want to save them and sell them in bulk to a freeze dryer, or trade them in on a finished head when you get the bug to mount a turkey in the future.

3. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

Some freeze dryers will only give you a credit toward future freeze drying. If you are not familiar with the work of the individual. I would shy away from them. who wants freeze dried turkey heads with one eye lower than the other, or the crown off to one side. also use the credit right away. because often when you go to use the credit at a later date. they will tell you that the cost of freeze drying has gone up. so you will get far less bang for your buck.

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Well I guess Ill just save them up like Mr T advised. Might get bit by the bug LOL....I have a pretty steady supply since I raise 5 breeds, so maybe later on down the road I could swap them for something else. Maybe someone will have a turkey that is shot up real bad that might need a replacement head or something...

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I beleive Cally Morris was paying 8.00 ea. at Hazel Creek. You might check his website.