1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Are Mckenzie Forms Any Better

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by K Kave, Dec 30, 2007.

1. K Kave

K Kave Member

I am new to taxidermy work about 3 years now have mounted probally 25 deer heads use alot of Van Dyke's are McKenzie's for that much better for the price difference would just like to hear the opinions.

2. I use Mc, mostly. They are better than some of the smaller companies, smoother, better symetry, better anatomy, better poses more realistic. Ben Mears was an exception for smaller companies and McK has them now.

3. batshouse

batshouse Member

try other companies i mostly use coombs and foster. the mckenzie signature lines are hit or miss; u can buy 2 of the same forms and one will be all kinds of crap. i think there quality is goin down hill with the large volume of business the handle.that bein said i perfer coombs over all others
    Bat

4. Don Z

Don Z Taxidermist,bowhunter, trapper,family man.

Ohio
    I do not like McKenzie's signature line, their face and noses are too skinny, at least for Ohio deer. I like the other forms they sell, especially Matt Thompson forms, Meder and Buckeye are also good choices.

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

I agree with Bathouse to a degree. Now before I get bashed on this one, let me say this. I to have had some Mckenzie forms come in and they are pretty nice, while others, from side to side they aren't even close to being symetrical. Sometimes it's to the point where they have to be altered. Now with the money that we are paying for forms these days, that shouldn't be. I use Hilton Eppley forms as much as I can, but the selection isn't there that Mckenzie has. On Eppley's most of the time I don't even have to rasp any flashing off, and have never had one off in symetry. If Hilton had the selection, that would be all I use.

6. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

You guys are all toast when the "Mckenzie Boys" sign on later! LOL :D

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

I will still be on here telling it like it is.

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

If you can't tell the difference by looking I would get the cheapest form made.

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

I think you missed the original point Cole.

10. Dan Bond

Dan Bond Member

its all opinions for the most part. I like Mears for the stocky faced bucks and also i like buckeye, meder and thompson forms when I can but Mkckenzie has a larger selection of sizes. I might get ripped up for this one but I think manikins are just manikins. Two taxidermist could mount the same size deer on the same form asnd get two totaly different looking deer. Experiment with a variety and try to focus on the eye shape and grooming and you will find what will work for YOU.

11. I like the McKenzie 6500 the best.

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I thought he was saying he currently uses Van Dykes, and wants to know if McKenzies are better since they cost more. My response would be, if they look the same to you, get the cheaper of the two. If you see a difference and think it is worth more money, get the more expensive ones. What did I miss? I use McKenzie quite a bit. I like how they look and am willing to pay more to have every size possible and every one in stock every time and have it at my door the next day, every time I order.

13. 38insprd

38insprd Guest

I like Jody Green's line of forms from Van Dykes

14. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i use a lot of research and also james forms (which are new to me)

15. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

All forms can be made to look good. It just depends on how much you want to dick with them.

16. whos who

whos who i see you

Michael Rasmussen has the best forums ever made ! do not try and compete with this master taxidermist when it comes to forum modifications

17. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

i use mostly research manikins. but i do like meder forms. specialy the offset shoulder.

18. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I've been using Joe Coombs deer forms exclusively so far this year. They have great service and plenty of sizes and poses to choose from. ;)

19. BUZ

BUZ Member

Mckenzie about 80% of the time. Matt Thompson, Meder and Ben Mear's.

20. ed150

ed150 deer city time

Joe coombs,my favorite,use lots of 6500 and 8400 McKenzie's too