1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

buckeye hide paste

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by akcrottweiler, Dec 31, 2007.

1. akcrottweiler

akcrottweiler New Member

I bought some buckeye hide paste.The stuff is so thick you can not brush it on and thin it with warm water and is like water.Does any one have this problem or better hide paste they use?

2. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Well-Known Member

Derma grip

3. You could put gloves on and smooth it onto your form. I use super xtreme hidepaste and thats what I do. IT's really thick like buckeye paste.

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

Thinning it will only make it have less tack. I used to like buckeyes consistancy when I use to use it.

5. like codi says put your latex gloves on and use your hands....

6. maximum

maximum The one that got away! Made the other guy Famous!

Codi is right. That is how I apply my hide paste.

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I've never had any problem with brushing it on. I use 2" chipping brushes that I buy by the box at Harbor Frieght. I have used gloves before too.

8. Mason

Mason Active Member

Dont use as much water when you thin it.

works fine if you use just a little warm water and use some elbow grease to mix it. Also use a good stiff brush. We like to cut the bristles short on our brushes for this job.

Mason

9. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Never had a problem brushing it on. If you're thinning it down make sure to mix it thouroghly, with some elbow grease like stated. I like it.

10. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

I dont thin it but I apply it with my hand.

ya like they say ;)

11. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I like it thick, so it doesn't run offf. I do like Becky does with a two or three inch brush

12. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

I also apply Buckeye by hand.
    Use a brush closer to any seams being sewn up.

Mike

13. Jesse Carr

Jesse Carr Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

use latex gloves or get a foam brush i use both my hands and a foam brush

14. akcrottweiler

akcrottweiler New Member

I don't know but this stuff seen to dry in a couple minutes.I put it on the form outof the jar and them it start peeling like silcone.No direction on the the jar.Do you put it on the hide?? ???

15. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Are you using anything with borax or DP in it? I had trouble with Buckeye Supreme when I first started using it because my tumbler had left over borax/dp in it from tumblimg dp'd capes. It takes just a tiny bit of borax/dp to make Buckeye set instantly. And that's exactly how it acted. I thought it was the hide paste, but it wasn't, it was getting contaminated with dp.

16. tim74

tim74 New Member

i've tried several hide pastes including buckeye supreme and i'm going back to the dry mix from sallie dahmes, nothing i've used has been consistent and tacky , yet gives ample work time and cleans off easy.

17. Todd K

Todd K New Member

I have used Buckeye for years and have always used a brush. I buy the cheap flat brushes from Lowes or Home Depot. Are you roughing up the form? If you are using DP you cant use Buckeye Supreme... you should be using Buckeye BA. That stuff is thick and could use a little water to thin it out. Good Luck!

18. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

Don't put the adhesive over the entire form. Just do sections at a time.
    Put in around the face and upper neck area, then slide the hide on and get the face area positioned where you'd like.
    Rotate your mount around so it's antlers down and slide the hide back down the neck towards the face like a tube sock.
    Then apply the adhesive to the rest of the form and down into the brisket area, set your brisket where you want, then turn the mount back over-antlers up and continue mounting.
    If it seems like it's drying out, then just mist with some water.
    I use latex gloves when I apply the adhesive, and just turn em inside out and throw away when I'm done.

19. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    that would be my question here also, or did it freeze at some point? shipping this time of year, if so you need to get out the drill and paint mixer and go to town, usually if it freezes it looks lumpy.

20. Look ar Crankin's post, that baby looks real!!!!!!!!You Are a master!!!!!!!!!!