1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rehydrating fish fins

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by fishmonger, Jan 1, 2008.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Huh???

2. JasonMoe

JasonMoe New Member

If you have a really damaged; cracked fin, that you want to save, you can use apoxie sculpt to back the fin, put saran over it, and card on. So the wire or plastic mesh don't stick to the apoxie, or plastic if used on the front.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Jason - I see. Sounds like a lot of work for something that can be accomplished much easier simply by using enough paper clips of the right size. I've never experienced the movement that some of you folks speak of after carding. Or the fins sticking to the plastic to the point where you couldn't gently pull the plastic off. Unless you're getting some mache' or glue that happened to migrate between the fins??? Never been a problem for me. The movement though? I can only assume that you aren't getting your "sandwich" tight enough. Whether paper clips or staples is the method for you, using all this other junk in-between sounds like a weak solution to a problem to me...

4. Just an update to show how my tail turned out.. Looked great and my budidy who I did the fish for loved the mount thanks for all the advice