1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Form recommendation.....

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by zubba, Jan 2, 2008.

1. zubba

zubba New Member

Hello all,
    Just thought I would take a random poll of what everyone thought about deer forms. Since I am fairly new to this industry, I haven't found a brand of forms that I love yet. So I'm simply asking what brand of forms everyone prefers.

On a previous mount, I purchased the form from [supply company] and although the mount didn't turn out too bad, the just seem kinda cheap. When I compare the feel/weight/solidness and look to a mount that I had another taxidermist do, his mount just seem 'better quality'. His mount felt more solid and 'not so fake'. I'm not sure if it was the cape, hide paste, form, etc. Kind of hard to explain.

So what does everyone prefer to mount the deer with? (and from who do you order it from) Here are the top things I'm looking for....

* Quality form (look/feel/etc)
    * anatomically correct
    * easy to mount on (still a beginner)

Thanks in advance...looking foward to what everyone has to say. Thanks again.

2. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

research manniken

3. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

I use Mckenzie for everything. I will try James in the near future.

4. I also use McKenzie most of the time. Used a couple of Matt Thompson forms lately, I like them to.

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I use a little of all of them. The best and highest priced form on the market will not assure that you have a quality mount. The solution to the quality of the finished product is your hands and eyes.

6. Jan

Jan New Member

I mounted my first on one from WASCO and it turned out nice. It was the Salli Dahmes droop. I took the advise from other on this site to use the droop for my first. I was glad I did.

Jan

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

I'm with Joey, I had tried and use several, but I prefer Hilton Eppley's.

8. jkidd

jkidd New Member

I like Matt Thompsons forms.

9. shaneb

shaneb New Member

Mckenzie look nice, their proportions always seem to create alot of extra work for me. for my money nothing mounts like a research mannikin!

10. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

You get that rack that you sent me mounted yet? I did my first on a McKenzie 6400 head down agressive It was tough to taxi the skin but then again I had a big slip I had to cut out of the hide and didn't alter the form. Thats the only one I've mounted but I love the 6400 my next will be a 6400 Head up I think

11. passthebuck

passthebuck New Member

MA
    For unique positions I use revolution forms been happy with Mckenzie,Ben Mearse research doesn't seem to give you a real big shoulder even though they seem real easy to mount on they work out well when customers cut capes alittle short just my 2 cents

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

What brand of form I use depends on the species I'm mounting.

13. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

I like to use Research

14. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Combes

15. michaelf

michaelf New Member

Coombs

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well, Zubba, look at it this way. ANY form you select now will be better since you started off in the cesspool of supply companies.