1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

losing scales

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by fish etc taxidermy, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

I use well water. I really don't know why it would make a difference but it might. Good Luck

2. jkidd

jkidd New Member

You are correct Paul. This is not the safest solution. I didn't think about the hazards. Here is a link to the msds for DA http://www.syndel.com/msds/denatured_ethanol_msds.html

3. den007

den007 Active Member

While I understand concerns about denatured alcohol, realize it is just the same as vodka with a bunch of more harmful ingredients added by government regulations to make sure we only drink the stuff they get taxes for. Methanol is nasty and attacks the retina causing blindness. All the hoopla about ethanol itself might be viewed in the light of common sense about chemicals. If you drink too much water too fast, it can kill you. About 15 tablespoons of table salt at once can be fatal as well. With the high price of DA, you might as well go out and buy a large bottle of cheap vodka and dump it in the pickle. Cost is getting right up there. Then you won't have to worry about all the goodies added by the gov.

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

http://www.msdsvault.org/GENERALPDF/33850-USBorax-Borax.pdf

Borax although much safer than DA, isn't wthout it's health issues either. Say you accidently swallowed 2 cups of the powder (lol), your kidneys could shut down - lol! Like Dennis said, most everything we deal with on a daily basis involves some risk. The key is limiting your exposure and using COMMON SENSE. Unfortunately, folks like Paul have to bring this to some folks attention because in today's world, "common sense' is a rare commodity. Like I said, my exposure is extremely limited and I wear industrial gloves when I put/pull my skins from the solution. Common sense...

5. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Yeah,
    After you get done dumping the Vodka in the tanning solution then you can drink what's left ::) ;D.

6. den007

den007 Active Member

Bill, you just gave me an idea! Add a bit of caffeine, and I can market the slurry as a high-protein energy drink!

What can I call it.........not Red Bull.....maybe Bully Bass, Trippin' Trout, Slammin' Salmon, Smelt Slurpy........endless possiblities!

The extra chunky stuff ........Manhandler's Seafood Delight!

7. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Yum!!!!, Yum!!!!

8. fishdude

fishdude New Member

I've used just zinc sulfate for the last 10 years. About a 1/4 cup for a few gallons of water. I skin fish all day, freeze the skins, order the forms or carve them. Put the frozen skins in the zinc sulfate solution the night before I mount them. The zinc toughen up the throat area and any other areas for doing the final fleshing before mounting. Transfer them to clean water after the clean up and mount them. Borax has always been over rated. If the fish is not properly skinned and fleshed it doesn't matter what they are soaked in.