1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Completion...How long

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DevinCamPA, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Hey guys...well im attempting my first shoulder mount ever. Just wandering... how long does it take you to complete a deer mount? thanks

2. countryboy36

countryboy36 New Member

ohio
    make sure you get some good videos to watch and good reference material.and have fun and good luck

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

I remember my first, man, that was a long day! It's a learning experience, and I wouldn't trade it for nothing. Have fun and enjoy it.

4. How long does it take you guys to do a full mount from to start to finish?

5. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

Devin, its gonna vary depending whether you mean from skinning it off the head or a tanned cape, if you mean the very beginning, my prices are based on 12 hours, it doesnt take quite than long anymore, but thats what i figure it on, the factors that can change that are listed here, is it short Y cut or long Y cut, experienced or inexperienced, since you said its your first, its gonna or should take you alot longer to get things right compared to someone who does 50 to 200 a year, i personally can have one hanging on the wall to dry in about 4 or 5 hoursi if we are talking from a tanned cape forward, but then i nit pick it for another hour to tweak things, then everyday i am checking those things to see that they stay put. Mine are long Y cut as i dont mind the sewing, and its easier to me to test fit and alter the form this way, hope this helped, Russ

6. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    First one i did took about 12 hours i swear, self taught off videos. Now at least half that time. First will always take the longest. Good luck.

7. 11th hour

11th hour Member

Give yourself all day and then some. That was my first. Boy was I proud. Now I look at it and laugh. Focus on doing it correct and not fast. Make sure you have everything you are going to need including some good reference of the eyes,ears etc... Take a day and do all of your prep work on the cape. Thinned, trimmed and completely turned. When your done with that, thin some more. Especially on the face and around the burr area. The thinner the hide is the less shrinkage you are going to have. Good luck and enjoy.

8. shaneb

shaneb New Member

Mine are split all the way, usually have 10 holes in the face from the tannery in the worst possable places. To do the ears, fix the cape, sew it up tuck, and position takes me about 5 hours. Usually another half hour a day for the next 5 days grooming and making sure nothing moves on me.

9. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I just finished my first mount so mabey my perspective will help

Skin head turn lips ears eyes and nose 3.5 hrs

Rough flesh 1 hr

tan 3 days

thin face by hand with razor blade and skife knife another 2.5 hrs

sew holes 1.5 hrs

bondo ears and prep form and attach antlers 30 min.

Test fit, clay eyes and ears and mount 2 hrs

sew short Y 45 min

tweaking 3 times a day while drying 5 days

additional days of drying with minimal tweaking 6

Finish paint 2hrs.

Hope this helps...........

10. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

good answer harley - you actually answered the ? asked

11. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Well Terry It's actually nice to be able to answer a question rather than being the one who asks it all the time. ;D

12. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

My first took about 12hrs. to finish and man, WAS I proud. Now it hangs in my boys room so nobody can see it. I am going to remount it later this year.

13. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I'm very proud of my first. Yeah it has a few issues, but everyone who has seen it on my wall says it looks better than the 1 mount I previously had mounted by a guy who had been in business for a few years. Hopefully they will only get better.

14. I've only done 4 deer mounts, but i got prgressively faster with each one. The first one took me nearly 2 days just to flesh and turn the cape. this last one only took about 4 hours to do the same work. I will say learning what tools you will need is a big part of speeding things up. take your time and experiment with several different tools and find what works best for you. Thats what I'm still trying to do, but figuring it out has helped make things a lot easier and faster

15. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Forget speed. Just allot a day to mount it and enjoy. Here are a few hints that may help. Have your cape ready 100% before the day you plan to mount the deer...you can even have the earliners installed, or bondoed, whichever you choose. Have your form ready, with antlers attached. Lay out the tools you will need, and supplies, such as clay and paste. You can do a lot of this preparation the day before you plan to mount it. With all of this preparation, you can focus on assembling the head. With everything organized and prepped, there will be less chance of fatigue and frustration. It would be unfair for me to tell you how much time it takes now, because I have mounted hundreds....but the first I mounted took all day. Do not worry about time, just concentrate on quality.

16. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I could not agree with joeym more.Take your time, do it right, or as right as you can. Have a large plastic bag around. If the mount just gets to you & you need a break or you just run out of time put the bag over it to keep it moist & continue the next day. Mist the cape down with water if you think its drying out. Do NOT let frustation or worry the hair is gonna fall out get to you. Take your time & enjoy the learning experience. Thats about all a first mount is, a learning experience. ENJOY.

17. Thanks everyone...i know i shouldnt rush anything! just wanted to get an idea. I cant wait to get started. Im worried about fleshings the cape and thinning it? never tried it

18. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Get you some stop rot I wish I had instead I would work on it awhile, and them back in the freezer for 20 min to keep it cold. That is a pain in the but. Just take your time, and when fleshing around the face put on a latex glove and put your hand behind ( fur side) and try fleshing with a scalpel or a razor blade... I guarentee you with you hand on the back side you will be more carefull and cut fewer holes LOL ;)