1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hair Paint??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by j.bliss, Jan 6, 2008.

1. j.bliss

j.bliss New Member

Hi everyone,

Just finished my 4th WT shoulder last night and everything was going beautifully until the end. I was sewing him up going down the back and with about 7 inches left to go I realized my cape wasn't going to meet, no matter how much I stretched it. At the back of the form the two sides of my cape were about 6 inches from each other. You guys have been talking about these McKenzie forms with huge shoulders and that's exactly what I ran into. E/N and neck behind the ear measurements were perfect, but that shoulder made a good day into a bad one.

The only piece of hide I had to patch it with was off the side of the neck, not the dark strip that runs down the middle. So obviously it's going to be lighter up were it should be darker. I was thinking about misting a little dark brown on it after it dries to try and reduce the contrast a little. Any ideas? What make and color should I get? Has anyone run into this problem before?? Thanks for any advice.

2. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    if it wont pull together i would take it back off and shave form down ,i would never patch another piece of skin to make it work,
    that being said ,i suppose u could try darken it up some.

3. j.bliss

j.bliss New Member

Do you work for McKenzie Justin? You sound awfully defensive. No need to get snippy and start calling me names. I am a rookie, no question. But this had to happen to someone else out there before. I'm not really blaming McKenzie for the whole problem but after I placed and secured the brisket, the hide I had left was what I had left. I didn't have many options at the time. I was just looking to talk to someone that may have had to paint hair before.

4. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

taxiing forward is someything beginners dont learn anywhere - everyone wants to pull it backwards... the exact opposite of what you have to do to get a large form to fit

5. tre

tre New Member

OHIO
    hey bliss I'm fairly new to the game also and i don't use McKenzie forums so i cant speak on them but heres what i do that may help you out in the future i was taught this so i will pass it on to you in hopes it will help you, i can tell you it has saved me alot of headaches and money on forums pre-fit your skins on the forum using a plastic bag to make sure everything fits and comes togeather right i assure you if you do this no matter who's forum you use it will save you a headache..good luck

6. Jesse Carr

Jesse Carr Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

you shouldnt set the brisket until the cape is completly sewn up and i take it you did the long y cut all the way down the back just unset the brisket and taxi all the skin forward it will get bigger and fit properly then after it is all sewn up staple the stitches on the back to the wood then turn it over and set the brisket that way the brisket wont move on you if you start pulling and adjusting the cape

good luck and have fun with taxidermy

7. j.bliss

j.bliss New Member

Thanks Justin - I appreciate your consent. Thanks also for not helping.

Thanks for the input Terry. I did start moving it forward when I first saw I was running into trouble but not only did that NOT make things any better, but it moved my brisket out of place. I hate when the brisket is too high on a mount so I thought I'd just keep going and put a patch in later.

8. batshouse

batshouse Member

will nver understand why people cut a cape all the way down he back. bigwaste of time

Bat

9. I did a deer once that had been shot running head on toward the hunter with head down and the bullet ran right down the back of the neck tearing out a chunk of hide, I cut all the bad hide out and did sew in another piece, although it was from the back of the neck on an old short cut cape I had, I did darken it a little with my airbrush and some dark brown and black lacquer paint, looked pretty good. By the way this mount was for a very close friend who was laid off at the time and had no money so he worked off the price of the mount doing some carpentry work for me. Dont really think I would do this for a regular paying customer.

10. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I agree with Jason. Take it off and shave the form. If you have to, cut a chunk out of the form, then reshape after you put it back together.

11. Bliss. I have had problems with a few capes fitting before. It was my fault, but a problem none the less. I resorted to cuttin the back of my form off 1 inch, and re-placing the board backing. I dont know about cutting one 6 inches though.

12. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

i have heard of 3 or 4 people in this area (sw missouri) and (nw arkansas) who have had problems with the 6500 series makenzie , the shoulders are obvioiusly for a northern deer, and our smaller southern deer dont seem to fit all the time, i have ordered a form 1" smaller in the neck area on these deer and mounted them with success, but if i measure them like i do all others the do not want to come together at the back, no matter how much you pull it forward, Russ

13. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Ive mounted deer on mckenzie,Dan Chase,Van Dikes,Joe medlers,and a few others. I have yet to have a problem. I measure my carcuss hide off.

14. Sorr to hijack your post but someone please explain to me who the unnamed supply comany or companies are, I always see this and it's bugging the h311 out of me. Maybe you better pm me!!!

15. SWANS TAXIDERMY

SWANS TAXIDERMY New Member

iowa
    i agree with bat, i don't like to sew so the smaller the incision the better