1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sewing Thread

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Unique Hunter, Jan 7, 2008.

1. course cape thread

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. clear fishing line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. braded fishing line

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  1. Trying to see what most folks use when it comes to sewing materials. I've always used cape thread and it just isn't working for me anymore especially when I'm trying to hide something.

2. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

i use various types of threads for different purposes, when trying to hide something you cant use cape thread, its to big and bulky IMO, thats when you go to a small diameter vanish type fishing line, or i have used a small diameter flyfishing tippet type material as well, its amazing what you can hide with that little stuff, so i didnt vote, because what i use isnt listed, good luck, Russ

3. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

at school we used braided 30lb line and dental floss as well, so that's what I have for my use now.

4. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

kevlar thread

5. setters73

setters73 New Member

KY
    I use braided fishing line.

6. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I use 30 lb dacron and fine diameter superline for different purposes. so I didn't vote. On long hair winter capes I use the dacron, on early season shorthair capes I use the fine diameter superbraid and I also use the fine stuff for repair work sometimes.

7. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

Fireline

8. Bowhunter if you and Chuckie wouldnt cut so many freakin holes in the skins you wouldnt have to try and hide all those holes. ;)

9. bw

bw New Member

I use the artificial sinew from mckenzie for anything with a decent amount of hair to hide stitches. I separate it in half for sewing the incision. I will separate it into even smaller strands for short haired areas. But places with little to no hair get sewn with some type of super fishing line. I have 4lb spider wire in the shop now.

The artificial sinew is good stuff. Go ahead and separate it into a couple different strands so its not full strength. Then wrap a couple loops around your hands and try to break it. I dare you.

10. We use the sinew and fireline and some thread we buy at an uphostry supply.

The fireline works great on Fox.coyote legs, the sinew for deer, fine polyester thread for face cuts and upholstry thread for very short haired deer.

11. kjdouble

kjdouble Member

Fireline , from 4lb test for the fine thin hair areas to birds, upto 30lb test for my large mammals.
    KJ

12. Darrell,

If you didn't gut shoot everything I wouldn't have to fix so much...LOL