1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Free Panel with Shoulder Mount?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Ozwalt, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Yes -- a nice hardwood

2.3%
  2. Yes -- a cruddy laminate

1.1%
  3. HELL NO! If they want it, they can pay for it!

96.6%
  1. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Okay, here's the deal. Over the last couple of months, I've a handful of new clients gripe that I don't include a free panel with their deer mounts. I've been assuming that these folks had all used the same taxidermist sometime in the past, because offering a free panel with every mount seems strange to me. Today I had a client tell me he's had 9 deer mounts done over the years from various taxidermists in different parts of the country, and a panel was always included in the price. So, I thought I'd put up this quick poll to help me gauge if I've been living in a cave or something. Just how common is the practice of including a free panel with every deer mount?

Ozwalt

2. I tell my customers that my mounts are discounted since most people don't want a panel. Then I charge them if they want one. I have found more people don't want the panel than do.

3. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

I had the same thing going here. people would call and when I told them the price they said we are used to paying $225 and it comes with a plaque. Not me I charged 340 for a standard mount and 60 xtra for the board.

4. My prices are for shoulder mounts only. If they want panels and pedestals, then that is extra. If I bring my car in for an oil change, do I get a free car wash with that? Of course not. Anything extra is just that, extra. And that means extra charge. I charge anywhere from $50 to $75 extra for a flat panel depending on size. :)

5. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

i charge $350.00 panels are extra charge of $45.00 -up

6. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

I charge 375 with the panel if the customer says he doesnt want it I say its included in the price take it or not. Some times they dont. So ok with me free panel. ;D

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I charge $425 for a shoulder mount & a panel is $75 extra....so a Whitetail w/ a panel is $500.o .Walnut creek Hardwood panel's exclusively! ;)

8. Tricia

Tricia New Member

A shoulder mount is just that...a shoulder mount. I charge $375 for ONLY the mount. If they want a panel, they start at $80 and go up from there, depends on what wood and style of panel the customer wants.

9. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I charge $450 for a Shoulder Mount. If they want a Pannel I charge EXTRA according to what kinda pannel they want!

10. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

$550 for a deer head here and panels start at $45. Never give away what you can charge for....a girl gave me that advice. LOL

11. jakemcmillin

jakemcmillin New Member

Charge Extra for the Pannel.
    Free Pannel NO WAY that would be like giveing
    a octagon base or a habitat base for free or 1/2 the $$$$
    I wouldn't do that. Thats just me :)

Jake

12. I have never put a panel on a deer. Funny how the areas are different.

13. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Me niether, But I had a man tell me that its because I dont have any for sale. Out of the last 10 people that have brought deer in Ive sold 3.

14. tod

tod Member

fla
    The only discount i give is the returning customer discount of 25.00 as far as panels go the customer has the pick of the litter it cost what ever the panel runs plus shipping and handling and tax that i pay rounded up to the next dollar.I may not make anything on the panel but it fosters good will and helps build a client base and i think i need this at this point in my bussines's career, And this year i started caring only wallnut and oak no more press wood crap if they want it they are going to get quality.

15. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

In the last 30 years I've had only a hand full of my clients even ask about panels. I can only remember three that actually wanted them enough to pay for them. I charge $525 for the mount OR $600 for the mount with a FREE panel.

16. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Here is what you do. If you are charging $400, go up to $475 and offer a free panel with every shoulder mount. If they don't want it, you make more profit. If they do, you are covered. Now everyone is happy.

I charge extra for panels, but only about 2% of my customers want one. In 19 years, I have never had one customer expect a free panel.

17. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Great responses guys. I appreciate it. Everyone pretty much verified what I thought was true. The guy who said every taxidermist he's used across the country has provided free panels is either... ummm... let's say "mistaken" for politeness' sake -- or perhaps he's been sniffing too much lacquer thinner. Wasn't planning on changing my pricing practices, but started wondering if I needed to include yet another disclaimer on my customer contract. I'm going to have to use Old Fart's response next time I'm asked this question -- $525 or $600 with a free panel. Nice.

18. lookn4awhitetail

lookn4awhitetail "I shoot a Mathews, cause I dont wanna Hoyt them"

Some of the mounts in my area, the nicest thing on them is the hardwood... Guess the hacks need to offer something elegant too...

19. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Panels are extra 60 bucks, solid walnut.

20. Todd K

Todd K New Member

350 for a standard mount. 50 extra for a panel. But I include a base in all lifesize mounts. I did give one guy a discount on a LS deer cuz be built the base out of the same stuff he put in his new house. Only two or three out of 45 this year wanted panels on their mounts. Not a big seller and definitly not a money maker! At least here.