1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning Poll <> Do you Send them in or do them in your shop ?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Galen, Sep 5, 2006.

1. I send capes in to be done .

34.1%
  2. I tan my own deer capes

65.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

How many people send in deer capes and how many tan capes in your shop . I thought this might be interesting as well as the price poll on deer heads.

15 day Poll

2. shawn77

shawn77 Guest

in shop , thats the only way to get the turnaround time you need . to pay the bills. ;

3. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

always in shop - i cut enuf holes myself

4. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    in shop all the time

5. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Unless you don't have enough work to keep you busy, or your prices are really cheap, I can't see much benefit to tanning in-house. I will tan stuff in-house if I have to get it done real quick. Otherwise, I send it out. I live about 25mi from Carolina Fur Dressing and 15 miles from Lonestar, so I just drop 'em off and pick 'em up when they're done. I also use the prep service. When I get a deer in, I cape it off the head and roll the cape up with the face in the middle, bag, and freeze.

Oldterryr, if you use a good tannery, you shouldn't have many holes at all. I sent 3 capes to David Patton at Lonestar. The only repair work I had to do was on one ear. It had a 3/4" split in the edge. The lips were thin enough, but I like my eyes and nose really thin, so I spent about 10 min on each cape doing a detail fleshing. They could have neen mounted just as they came back to me, though.

To me, it just makes good money sense to use a reputable tannery.

6. I do both. I send out the big jobs: bear, elk, med-lg lifesize. I tan most of my deer capes, fox, coon, etc. I do my prep work and tanning in small lots-- usually 5 deer capes at a time. I could probably save a few bucks in man hours by sending them out but I feel more confortable doing some things myself.

7. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Mike, your spending a whole lot more than $1.50 to tan a deer cape. So your time is free? Biz sense to me, would be spending your time mounting another deer.

8. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I would like to send them out, and will start doing so soon. I have an idea that it is only worth it to tan in house if you do less than 20 or so deer. Since deer season started this year, I have gotten 8 shoulder mounts. I will tan those in house to have something to work on, and hopefully start sending my tanning out soon. I am nervous about it though, and haven't decided who to use. I am not really asking for recommendations. I have seen several posts with recomendations. I may try sending a couple of spares to Carolina and a couple to Lonestar. See who I like better. I have heard of someone in Greenville, but what I heard was not good. Still, it may not have been his fault considering the source.

9. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Never tried a tannery yet. I bought a commercially tanned cape before, to mount for myself, and it was really nice, no holes and really thin with great stretch. I tan all my capes myself but when I get the chance to mount something difficult like a greasy bear cape or a lifesize deer, then I will send it out.

10. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

Tan-em, saves alot of money and time!

11. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

I pickle shave and tan myself. I have herd to many horror story's from commercial tannery's. If something will go bad I want it to be my fault. No problems yet.

12. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

I don't try to save any money or time. I tan in house just because I perfer to do it that way. I like the control I have and thats about it.

13. Alan

Alan Guest

I tan everything in house currently have 9 bears and 5 pronghorns from this year going right now. I like the control and less turn around time. 2 of the pronghorns will be ready to be mounted this weekend and they were dropped off last Monday.

14. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    I tan every thing in house. i guess I like to be busy. My shop is attached to my house so I can come and go as I please.

15. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

I tan my own. Maybe if I get busy enough to justify it I may start sending them out.But for now I have the time to do it myself.My shop is in a building on my property also. So it makes it easy for my to keep an eye on things.Also I use a pressure tanner. That may be another interesting pole.
    Or How many people are DP'ing.

16. I SEND ALL DEER CAPES AND LARGE LIFESIZES OUT PLUS THE GREASY BEAVER AND COONS ALL ELSE IS DONE IN HOUSE . THE REASON IS I DON'T HAVE A FLESHING MACHINE LOOKING AT THE NEW LITE ECONO THOUGH, MIGHT INVEST IN ONE.

17. Ed Hawkins

Ed Hawkins New Member

Both, I do deer and antelope inhouse using a pressure tanner, and send everything else out.

18. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I'm totally in house. I have full control over what I do. 8)

19. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Tan in-house, for same reason as above.
    Only thing i send to the tanner are flat skins.

20. Dean

Dean New Member

I have to many mounts to tan tan them myself. I would be tanning all the time and getting behind on mounts. I'm a taxidermist not a tannery. I do one once in a while if I need one in a hurry. If you have the time to do it it works out great. Time is money. I make more putting a mount together than pickling and shaving capes. By the time the tannery gets the hides back to me they still sit around for about a month or more before I get to start mounting them so waiting isn't a problem. I look at it like having an employee work for you only when needed. You just need to make sure you have a good tannery that doesn't make extra work for you. Just like taxidermy or anything else, you get what you pay for. I like the control of doing it myself too, but there is a time when you have to make the decission and send them out. I believe it just comes down to work load and when you need to make the switch. I made the switch about 10-12 years ago and more money is being made by it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.