1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

And here is my 3rd mount :) Bobcat OM Critque please :)

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by RoyalOaksRanch, Nov 6, 2006.

1. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I started this bobcat last night. THe form is from Van Dykes, open mouth with jawset already installed :) This is the one I asked if a beginner should attempt..It was a dry tanned hide. Must say alot of fun.. I think I like open mouths so far LOL.. WE shall see how well I like it when I start the finishing work LOL I havent done a thing with the nose other than put some clay on the form.. So ignore that part. I have to do some work on it as its got some issue, some of the nose is gone... This is the cat that was dry tanned when I got it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IM working on a fox now, Hope to get it in the tann tonight :) Im learning how to flesh out them toes.. Not as bad as I thought it would be :)

2. ace man

ace man New Member

looks good , i like them eyes.

3. Josh

Josh New Member

I know you are just starting out but try to stay away from dry tan. You never have the same workablility as a wet tan. The nose looks a little full, may not be fleshed down enough, could be the tan. Looks good though.

4. RoyalOaksRanch

Ya Im not to thrilled with the dry tan..the whole hide was much "thicker" than I thought it should be.. Made it kina hard to work with. not to mention sewing was areal treat.. Needle did NOT want to go thru.. On the nose.. it literally has had nothing done to it.. I have to rebuild the nostrils since whoever skinned it messed up on the nose.. ..I am going to try to rebuild the nose then glue it down. Hopefully will make that fat look go away. Its just sorta floating in mid air at the moment.. Its not even touching the form.. LOL.. Looks like someone punched him huh LOL

5. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Should whiskers point outward in that pose?? Nice mount for your third! :D

6. paul e

paul e New Member

looks ok
    try saving more of the wiskers
    try using tissue between them to point them with the attitude you desire
    keep trucking

7. This may be a silly question, but did you soak up or "sweat" the dry tanned cape before you mounted it?

Probably should have bought an artificial nose for this cat.

8. RoyalOaksRanch

Yes I rehydrated it in a salt bath. It got fairly stretchy, I could pull it about without it tearing or being all stiff..but probably should have been more stretchy than it was. I wonder if I can add the fake nose now? I didnt even think of doing a fake one LOL. DUH..
    Paul E I bought this hide, dry tanned.. So I had no control over its condition. Just tried to the best I could with it. Ill try the tissue between the whickers next time I am sure that would be easier than setting them each one at a time in the clay.

9. After your salt bath did you ring it out and set it in the refrigerator overnight (a.k.a sweating)?

10. RoyalOaksRanch

Yep I did.. Then I froze it... Then when I was ready to mount it I defrosted it, it sat in the fridge thawed for 2 days...
    I mean it thawed then sat in the fridge afterwards for two days...

11. You need to look at some pictures of real cats. Here are a few from a simple google search for bobcat.

Look at the hair patterns, nose, nose color, EARS (shape position and hair patterns), wiskers, hair patterns in the wisker tracks, eyes, etc.

The use of reference will help answer a bunch of questions.

12. here is another.