1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fleshing a green hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by oldterryr, Jan 10, 2008.

1. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

how in the he&& does anyone flesh a green deer hide - the whole reason i started tanning was to be able to flesh the skin clean - someone who is good at this please respond - this has driven me crazy for years - just worked on deeer today and i still cant do WOS job on them

2. ed150

ed150 deer city time

we use a draw knife and scraping board,then salt,dry,relax and pickel and save on quebec shaving machine and then tan,to flesh face and lips on a green skin i use a ball and single edge razor blades,i know some guys who fleash green hides with there fleasing machines,kinda hard on blades i would think

3. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Terry, lightly salt your skins, first, and wait about an hour, and see if your results improve. Salt wont dull a shaving machine blade much, after the salt draws a little moisture, and softens up.

4. oldterryr

thanx os - please dont leave us

5. NDNHunter

NDNHunter 2007 World Chamionships, Reno

Terry, what I do is salt the green cape really good, roll it up skin to skin for an hour or so, open it up and shake off the loose salt, turn the cape skin out and put on fleshing beam. I use a necker knife, it has a sharp side and a dull side. you can use the sharp side around the head and neck without to much trouble. Then use the dull side to scrape off the bottom half, maybe bottom 2/3 of the cape, especially helps in the brisket area where I had lots of trouble in the past. Hope This Helps!! :)

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OS can afford to use salt as he can sharpen his own round knife blades. LMAO. Terry, you were into this "old method" crap. Didn't you ever see the part where the hide was dropped into the sawdust bin and the hide covered in sawdust before shaving? Sawdust absorbs all the moisture and sticks to the skin allowing it to be shaved (or draw knifed) away very easily. It works great in showing you what areas still need fleshing as well.

7. oldterryr, come spend a week with us, you will be great after you get all our frozen hides fleshed for us. I think thats a great idea, we will even buy you lunch. :) :) :)

8. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Active Member

I do just like George decsribed. After washing my green cape and letting drip dry for awhile, I will throw in the tumbler for awhile. Tumble both skin side and hair side. Then proceed to run all my green capes across the fleshing wheel then tan it. I think what i like best is that the sawdust gives me a better grip on the cape while working it.

9. oldterryr

will try salt and saw dust - i have tried salt but didnt leave it on long enuf

10. michaelf

michaelf New Member

I use salt and cornmeal then the chunks of meat are ready to go in the skillet. LMAO

11. Terry,

I always call fleshing capes the "glamourous part of taxidermy". I throw the cape on the fleshing beam after I cape them and knock of the big stuff and anything else that comes off easy. I stay away from the brisket because it seems I always end up cutting through the thin skin there if I try to flesh it on the beam. Then I use my fleshing machine to clean it up real good from the neck down and as much as the head as I can. Then I spend another 1/2 hour with the scalpel splitting lips eyes and ears. Then it goes in the Autotanner.

Bruce

12. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Food for thought. In my opinion, saw dust, dulls a blade much faster, than salt that has been softened by moisture. It becomes chalky. Heck, even paper dulls scissors over time. Whats paper made of?

Having tried both methods, I find salt, to be less harmfull, to the longevity of a round knife edge.

13. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

I do majority of my hides green and will wash and tumble them then do my fleshing. Thats about as green as I go. I dont go straight from the skinning to the fleshing. LOL and pretty much 3/4's of you all know how I flesh anyway.

14. salt over night shake it off put it to the fleshing wheel throw it in the pickle 3 days take it out finial flesh and back to pickle 1/2 day or day your on your way ive done enough of them now that i find the salt lifts the membrain and set your blade shallow works for me mark c