1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#15

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#15

Good Evening from Hinsdale New Hampshire! I hope you all had a great week my friends and family of Fishheads!!! I think this past week in fish pictures was pretty great!
    Great work last week by Mr. Denny M, Mr. Doug P, Mr.Dan B, Mr. Taylor, and last but not least Mr. Travis J,!!! Super work and Big thanks for sharing and aspiring all of us!

From beginner's to the best in the world we all join in every week in a critique free and hassle free string with nothing more then great artist and inspiring fish taxidermist and carves get together to share with one another their praise and inspiration of good will and friendship to one another.
    So with out further ado lets get week #15 under way.

I want to start the week with a a good friend of ours and a great contributer to the Forums Mr. Jimmy Lawrence! Jimmy has been working on his first reproduction White Crappie!!! This is the the fish minus a tweak or 2. Jimmy is a full time taxidermist from Bedford Iowa and a great guy who adds a lot of tremendous positive encouragement for all of us!
    So here we go and here is to a great week in fish pictures!!!! #15! Enjoy!

My Best!
    Your friend
    Rick Krane
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jimmy!!! Nice crappie! Looks great!
    I love white crappie. I hope to have a few soon to work on!.

3. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    nice fish,how big is that bad boy

4. Harum

Harum Active Member

Nice job Jimmy!

5. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments everyone!! I didn't know Rick was going to post that fish for me! I actually wasn't too awefull impressed with my job on that fish believe it or not..... I am my own worst critic I swear!!!! But Im glad you all approve. It is a 15" White Crappie Repro from Wynia. Very nice detail, great fins! Not sure on the weight. Big thanks to those guys, and to Rick Krane!!! He guided my hand so to speak on the fish. I have learned more off of this website, and the PERSONS ive met from this site, than I did the many hours of "schooling" that I had prior. This gives us all a place to interact, and speak with the top people in our fields. Rick Krane, Dave Campbell, Gary Bruch, and Pete Harum just to name a few of the OUTSTANDING people that inspire our working minds. Enough typing for now. Hope to see much more inspiring work this week!!

Jimmy

6. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    looks really good Jimmy!

7. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

Great work Jimmy! We don't have white crappie in MA. You did a very detailed fish Mr. Lawrence. We do have a Lawrence MA but you wouldn't want to go there.
    Tax101

8. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    This is another Christmas fish I finished up in time. It's a custon mold/cast. I posted a photo a few months ago in questioning how to get rid of what I would call a SUPER thick layer of mucous on it and I left marks on the surface of the skin trying to remove it. I used Krylon Triple Thick Glaze on it and it turned out fair. When the customer picked it up, he questioned why it was so dark and I pulled out a digital photo I had taken of it and he was quite satisfied. With the purchase of a digital camera, I take photos of just about every mount I do nowadays; record coloration, abnormalities, reference, etc.
    [​IMG]

The 'fresh' fish for reference/comparison:
    [​IMG]

jerry

9. Jimmy, nice job on the crappie!!!!!! I like it alot.
    Jerry, Awesome looking fish!!!!!

10. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Nothing this week, but working on a repro Walleye I will post when done. My timing is bad as Rick is NOW in process of cutting a DVD for it. Rick is the type of teacher that will push you in the water to see how far you can swim on your own but won't let you drown. I'll be that much better viewing Rick's DVD now that I've swam a few laps on my own with my Walleye.
    Jimmy, Great Crappie. Is that Candy Payne's Grey on the fins? Looks nice!!!!

11. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

Jimmy,

Nice looking crappie! I really like some of the subtle color details and transitions around the head- very cool.

Jerry,

Super rainbow. Are you seeing spots in your sleep after that one? lol ;D I have a 24" heavily spotted rainbow coming up soon myself.

Great start to the week guys.

12. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Wow-incredible crappie Jimmy! Jerry, super rainbow. I have 2 gills and a perch this week. The perch had a major chomp mark in him from a northern that the guy wanted left in...pretty cool. Rick- I'm sittin on 3 walleye repos waiting for that DVD! LoL! Mark

13. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

The perch, and one more of a gill.

14. Debbie N

Debbie N New Member

MA.
    Jimmy I really like your crappie I can't wait to get to meet you. Noah I like your rainbow lots of good color.
    Stan

15. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Here's a replica I did a few weeks ago for a customer - a Channel Cat. Blank is a Starfish blank and it's actually my very first Catfish of any sorts. Was kinda fun to do something different. Customer wanted the drastic upward angle. Sorry about the flash...

16. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

Walleye pike skin mount recently finished. Carved mannikin on driftwood setting. Beautiful mounts all,Mark

17. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Sparky, Love the shape of those gills. Nice job on both gills and perch.

Marty, That is one "Cool Cat". That one's out of the park. EXCELLENT.

Mark, Great Walleye, post them a little bigger if you can.

18. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Here are a couple that are "in the works". Hope to have them finished soon. I forgot how much fun it is to paint. Sure is more fun than pounding shingles. The brown is a 26" replica I made and the beast behind it is a 46" steelhead from the infamous "trashfish collection"

19. ArtistcAnglerInc.

ArtistcAnglerInc. New Member

very nice depth to those fish already...That steelie is a monster :eek:

20. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Here is one more pic...got the perch on a twig now. Ohhh, I just noticed the split in the tail I fixed needs a little more toning against a white wall!