1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Where do mites come from?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Spysar, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Spysar

Spysar Member

I had my first try at beets get mites. I have improved and learned a whole lot since then. Where do the mites originate from? Are there certain specimens that carry them? Do they just come from the outside and come through screens? I heard that if you keep the substate dry, the mites will not be able to survive. What are your best tips to keep out mites, and other pests for that matter.

Thanks. Eric.

2. Helicity

Helicity Squirrels – Natures Road Bumps

Are you sure they were mites? Mites are mostly microscopic and cannot bee seen. Mites are everywhere in your house from dust mites to ones that attach to your pets. There are other mites that can be parasitic to other insects but they usually live on haired insects or in other insects. Spider mites (red little mites) attack plants and make webs but wouldn't hurt your colony are one of the only non microscopic ones. Chiggers or harvest mites attack pets and humans and are tiny. I was thinkgin they could be mites that feed on mold because you mentioned the dry substrates thing but they wouldn't cause death in your colony. I know beetles can provide transportation for mites from dead body to body in a phenomenon known as phoresy. The mites you described are probably from the family parasitidae and unlike the name are not actually parasites to other insects and only travel by attaching theyselves to them. They can feed on nematodes and fly eggs so maybe they could be attacking the eggs but are usually only found in nutrient rich soil filled with detrius at a humidity of 90 or above. I have never known for them to go after beetle eggs basically in the wild they have a mutualitic relationship. The carrion beetle transports the mites from carcass to carcass and the mites disembark and feed on blowfly eggs which is the the competition for food with the beetles. If you can find a picture on line or take one i could identify the mites for you. Even if you describe what you saw...if i can't do it I can take it to my old entomology professor about it. As for where they come from they can attach to humans and animals and are small enough to fit through screens. They can float with wind currents and household warn air from the vents (only certain mites) by sending out a small strand of silk and catching thermals. The first step to fixing a problem is by knowing what species it was and how they got there.

3. Spysar

Spysar Member

I don't have mites in my new colony. I thought mites were commom knowledge amoung beetle owners?? The mites in the first were barely visible and right on the dermestids. That colony and everything associated with it is gone. I just don't want to get any. It would help to know how not to get them in the first place. I think I'm on the right track keeping the substate dry. I water the beets by spraying a paper towel that is on top of the specimen skull. Anyone know anything else about these mites? Especially prevention tips. Thanks Helicity.

4. rancid

rancid New Member

Helicity,I just sent you an e-mail.

5. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Mites can come in from skeletal material that you did not freeze before adding it to your colony - i.e. they hitch a ride on some other carrier.

They are visible to the naked eye, but just barely. If you use aquariums and have a bad infestation, when you look at the side of the glass at the smallest specks, you can see them moving. A bad infestation can essentially kill a colony.