1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BASIC Primer for Whitetail Eyes Clay Work

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by George, Jan 11, 2008.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I keep seeing beginners here having trouble claying eyes. I'm certainly no Bill Yox or Rick Carter and this tutorial is meant for BEGINNERS (and of course, hacks like me). As you will see, the earliner is installed and that would NOT happen with a short "Y" cut and you'd have to remove the earliner from the clay to install it in the hide anyway. So here goes nothing.

2. George

Next set

3. George

Finish sculpting

4. Thank you very much for posting this . It made me realize what I was doing wrong . Cant wait to try this!!!

5. tim74

tim74 New Member

thanks george!! i've been doing it wrong.

6. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Great show George!
    It took me 6 years back in the late seventies to figure that clay thing out!
    I'll applaud you! ;D

No one would tell me a thing.

7. Very nice tutorial George. Love to see the different ways people do there eyes.

8. Your the "MAN" George! Nice work!

9. George

Drew, I don't understand why you'd say that. Sure, the orbit areas differ, but I set all my eyes regardless of the form the same way. There's a glob of clay under the eye to get it to the angle I'm looking for and set in or out as necessary, but after that, the clay work is the same. I've used this method for years , even when I was using the real skull and don't recall any special problems with it.

10. George

Only when it gets an "orange" button Justin. LOL

11. jakemcmillin

jakemcmillin New Member

thanks George
    jake

12. George

OH, I see what you're saying Drew. That's a McKenzie 6500 and you are correct. It would take MUCH more clay to get similar results if I were using one of the old Van Dykes forms.

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Nicely done George.

14. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Thanks George, you make it look so simple.
    My approach is to just get the right amount of clay in the right areas and then sculpt the details after the skin is on. I don't know why, but I can visualize the anatomy much better when there are markers to guide me. For some reason I can never make it look good before the skin goes on.
    I'm gonna keep those pics for reference if you don't mind.

15. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

not trying to steatl george's thunder but here i antoher way
    http://tdavistaxidermy.com/settingdeereyes1.html

16. fuzzmeister

fuzzmeister New Member

Good work George! next time you do your next antelope mount, would you mind showing us how you clay an eye for it?

17. Wdlangford

Wdlangford New Member

Thanks George.

18. JW

JW New Member

Thanks George! I'm not a beginner but it certainly helped me to critique my eye set.

You da man!

19. SWANS TAXIDERMY

SWANS TAXIDERMY New Member

iowa
    thanks george will do this on my next wt ur the best

20. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Though your bark is big, your heart is bigger. This is why I respect you as a taxidermist and gentleman.