1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

looking to learn taxidermy in Western Ma

Discussion in 'Training' started by kevinsulikowski, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Hi everyone My name is Kevin I'm looking for someone to teach me a little about taxidermy in the western ma area if they have a little free time. I currently work second shift wednesday through sunday . I have done a few skull mounts for myself but I'm looking to learn how to do some other mounts . I currently have a deer that I would like to mount and a fox squirrel. Im getting married in August and cant afford to have them mounted by someone so I would like to watch someone do a few and try to do mine with what I learn. Any help would be accepted . I also hope to join the New England Association of Taxidermists in a week or two.

Thanks Kevin Sulikowski
    [email protected]
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=41017888

2. looks like I've had 45 views but no responses yet .guess theres not anyone in the area to help me out in learning. I'll keep my fingers crossed maybe someone will come long.

3. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Kevin,
    I live in eastern Ma. I'm a part time taxidermist and have limited time but if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.
    I am on the board of directors of the New England Association of Taxidermists and I encourage you to join. We will be having a Taxidermy workshop comming up this spring and our annual convention/competiton in June. Even if you dont compete in the competition(although I feel you should), you will learn a great deal of information and meet some fantastic individuals. We have seminars all weekend long, and if you do compete, the judges critiques are priceless. You will learn so much.

4. great advise join best money you will spend and go to the work shops and you will learn mark c

5. made out my app and check going to mail it out today on the way to work judy should have it in a few days

6. here's one that i did that i like .

7. Kevin Great looking skull. Good to hear you signed up to NEAT.
    We will be having a March workshop, and I'll be sure to fill you in once the details are finalized this weekend
    If you have any questions please feel free to give me a call at 860-267-4155

Steve Hackett
    President
    New England Association of Taxidermists

8. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

Kevin I live in Waltham MA I too wanted to find some one local or close to learn from a few guys down in this are were helpful in showing me a few things. I would go talk to some local taxidermist as well as go to the newengland taxidermy meet. I know if you want to get really good you should take some 1 on one classes. I have been kicking around Bird leasons and Paul Czarncki in PA is not that far and I did take a 10 day workshop with Rick krane in NH. He is near western MA. Richard Christoforo is Revere MA he is a great guy to talk to about deer heads and mammals. Well that is my 2 cents.
    Tax101

9. I wouldnt mind doing a work shop or one on one but really cant do much this year since im getting married in aug and going to have to put what spare money I have into the wedding but maybe I can work something out and do one in 09 .

can anyone tell me how long my frozen fox squirrel and deer cape will be good for in the freezer . I hope I can get to mounting they sometime before the end of summer but not sure if ill be able too . need to do some reading and whatch a few movies to see how they are done and hopefulllly attend the neat work shop .

what whould it cost to flesh and tan a deer hide ?

10. after the shot

Kevin,
    Glad to see that you are singing up. Welcome aboard.

You can keep things for quite a while in a good freezer. As long as freezer burn doesnt set in too badly. I have had capes in my freezer for 2 years without a problem, but I keep everything double bagged an try to get out as much air as possible. On small critters, I freeze them and when they are totally frozen hard, I vacuum seal them.

Actually, you should flesh the deer and send out to a tannery yourself. You dont need any special tools and the actual fleshing process is more tedious than difficult.

Congrats on the upcomming wedding.

11. Fred Barilla

Fred Barilla Member

Kevin,

Welcome to the NEAT! Please introduce yourself at our next meeting. It' always a pleasure to meet new members and make new friends. As you can see, we have a hard working and sincere leadership team that is anxious to make your membership a fun and valuable learning experience. Please don't hesitate to contact me, or any of our fine Officers or Directors for more information, questions, or just to chat. Many thanks and welcome!!

Fred Barilla
    Vice President
    New England Association of Taxidermists

12. after the shot

13. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not in to deer heads or birds personally but I love fish and I do try to work at small mammals ( not very well) . Rick Krane has told me about your group and gave me a paper on it last year. I should try and get down there at least to see your show. Thank for the invite.
    Tax101 Matt

14. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Glad to here you're joining kevin. Hopefully you can come to the show in june. If not congrats on the wedding, maybe we'll see you at the seminar in march. Hope to see you too matt, we'll have a good fish seminar this summer too.

15. after the shot

Matt,
    We will aso be doing Small Mammal at the workshop also. You say that you do small mammal (not very well). Well come on down. I assure you that you will learn a few things that will bring your work to the next level.
    Scott

16. Hey,
    I'd just like to introduce myself, I'm a new taxidermist in Ma as well. I've done small mammal mounts and coyote and fox, but now I'm trying to focus on gaining skill and experience. Id love to visit the small workshop, I work with primarily rabbit and squirrel and fox over here (not so much space in a small apartment in Cambridge!). I hope all is well!
    -Bonnie

17. after the shot

Welcome Bonnie,
    Did you check out the link to the workshop? We would love it if you could attend. Just contact Steve Hackett and he'll fill you in on anything you need to know about attending. I guarantee that you wont be dissapointed.