1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fox in Progress...

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Mink, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Mink

Mink New Member

Here's a fox pup I've been working on. The taxidermist that I aprentice with gave me skin. How's the mount look so far? (Yes, I know there's lots of junk and randomness around it. Its sitting on my dad's workbench right now!)

I am aware that the right ear looks bad. It was very freezer burned, the skin had been in the taxidermist's freezer for 8 years! I know the eyes look weird in this picture, but I think that's because the of the pins and the clay. Both eyes are set correctly, they don't bug out and seem to be the right distance apart. But if anyone sees any faults, let me know. This mount isn't quite dry yet, I can make some ajustments if needed.

[​IMG]

2. The eyes are not properly shaped, the ears are about to leap off the form, no gooming, there's no fixing that right ear (all the hair has slipped), front leg is bent in an unnatural position, toenails sticking up in the air. Learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward.

3. Try this link and then do a google search on fox or grey fox.
    http://www3.cesa10.k12.wi.us/ecosystems/wetlands/animals/grayfox/greyfox.jpeg
    You need to look at pictures of live animals and study them.

You can't honestly expect to get a good critique, let alone a critique by posting an animal in that state, can you?

Here is a baby red fox in almost the same post.

4. Sorry Mink, but that one hurt my eyes to look at. I'd redo the whole face from the start. :-\

5. Mink

Mink New Member

I tried to make a few minor ajustments to the eyes and ears, but the clay was getting kind of hard, so I couldn't do much. I'll post a pic when its finished and the pins are out, and hopefully you can see the improvements. I know the bent front leg looks a little odd. It broke twice while I was mounting it and didn't look the same when I fixed it...

6. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Just because the clay is setting up doesn't mean you can't make adjustments. Put a wet towel on it, bag it up and let the clay soften back up to a workable state.

7. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

Definately needs some T.L.C.!!! ;) I would suggest that you get hold of some video tapes on small mammal mounting...I have Roger Martin's BOBCAT MOUNTING BASICS...It will definately help you out a lot....Also, reference is a must!!!!!!!! If you don't know exactly what the animal looks like alive, how are you going to "BRING A TANNED SKIN TO LIFE???"

BEST OF LUCK!

8. Mink

Mink New Member

I have a video tape on small mammal mounting. I would've watched it but our VCR broke. I have a few reference pictures of fox pups and I used them while mounting, but I guess I still need practice! :)

9. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

WHOOAAOOW