1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Kansas Association of Taxidermists Convention 2008

Discussion in 'Convention Information' started by Ken Edwards, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

March 28th through 30th, 2008
    The <A HREF="http://www.kansastaxidermy.com/">Kansas Association of Taxidermists</A> Annual Convention & Competition
    Courtyard Junction City, Junction City, KS
    Contact <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">Dennis Schumacher</A> at (316) 540-3141 or <A HREF="http://www.kansastaxidermy.com/">visit the KAT website</A>.

Judges: Larry Blomquist, Jody Green and Cory Caruthers
    Hotel Info: Courtyard Junction City, 310 Hammons Drive, Junction City, KS 66441. Phone: (785) 210-1500

2. DennisS

DennisS New Member

Kansas Convention this weekend

The Kansas Association of Taxidermists Convention and Competition will be held this weekend, March 28 - 30 in Junction City, KS. Judges will be Larry Blomquist, Jody Green and Mike Pendzimas (Mike is a change from the original information, and will judge birds in place of Cory Caruthers. Visit our website, www.kansastaxidermy.com, or contact Dennis Schumacher @ 316-540-3141 for more information.

Thanks.
    Dennis Schumacher

3. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Re: Kansas Convention this weekend

See you there. A great line up of judges.

4. My First Ever Convention

Hey All,

I do not know if this is the right place to put this thread, but I just got home from my first ever taxidermy convention, a K.A.T. convention held this past weekend at Junction City, KS, and just want to tell y'all that it was a marvelous experience, and has me all pumped up to tear into taxidermy with a passion! I would especially like to thank all the good folks I met there, and invite any and all of them (or anyone else for that matter) to exchange PM's with me. I am very new to taxidermy, and deeply regret not getting into it when I had a few more years ahead of me to cultivate the craft (I am 58.), but as they say, "such a pity we grow old so fast and wise so slow". Ironically a very nearly fatal accident is what put me in the position of needing to learn a new way of earning my daily bread, and is how I became interested in taking on taxidermy as a new livelihood. At any rate, I have been fortunate enough to meet some new taxidermy friends, and am looking forward to meeting many more. I will have a photo of my first shoulder mount deer in a day or two (I took a second), and would welcome the opportunity to swap photos with any of y'all via PM's

Thank You & Be Well,

Frank

5. mike g

mike g Active Member

K.A.T. CONVENTION

I want to personally thank all the guys and gals of the Kansas association for another fine show. They really know how to have a great time. If you ever have a chance in the future to attend please do, you will be welcomed.

Congrats to all the winners, there was some really nice work! The judges were first class and and blast to talk to.

Mike Goodman
    Bellevue, NE

6. Re: K.A.T. CONVENTION

Hey Mike,

I just posted a thread telling how pleased I was with the K.A.T. convention (my first ever taxidermy convention). If you were at Junction City, andwould care to exchange a PM, I would welcome that. I do not know if we met or not(?) I was the short fat old guy walking with a stick and with a big stupid grin and a Vietnam Veterans cap on.

Thank You & Be Well,

Frank

7. mike g

mike g Active Member

Re: K.A.T. CONVENTION

Frank, I was the guy that had the tools you used to groom your deer before it was placed in the show room. We talked about all the shed antlers I have and all the guys said I will never sell any, even all the small ones ;D

8. Cory

Re: K.A.T. CONVENTION

Thanks for the kind words Mike. Without you and the "out of state gang" our show wouldn't be the same. By the way, great looking whitetail. You must of posted this as I was posting one up top. See you in June.

9. Cory

Re: My First Ever Convention

It was nice talking to you Frank. Thanks for coming and using our show for what it was intended for. Education in the arts of taxidermy. I'll keep in touch throughout the year.

10. Tom_n_Nash

Tom_n_Nash Nothing like an old John Deere....

Hey Frank, good to hear you had such a positive, rewarding experience. If you leave a convention feeling "ready to do that once in a life-time mount", then it really did serve its purpose. Don't worry about starting so late with the profession. It's more about how open to learning you are than how long. There's a guy here where I live that's been doing taxidermy 40 years and still paints a bass that looks like it's radioactive. lol (he's a nice guy... just quit learning). It's pretty impressive that you took a second in your first show. Good job! I'm really looking forward to seeing your work. Good luck with the road ahead and feel free to PM anytime.

11. Re: My First Ever Convention

Hey Cory,

I sure do appreciate the kindness of most of the folks I met there in Junction City, and I truly did enjoy talking with you. You can expect to see more of me for sure! I am starting the mammals class with Cindy tomorrow, and am pretty excited about the opportunity to come to the next convention, with more to enter! BTW, I got the guy I was riding with to stop on the way home for a raccoon who had a misfortunate experience with crossing the road. He was pretty fresh, and had no odor or slipping hair, so he may well be showing up at one of your shows in the future. If you want, I can send the carcass on down your way. Y'all do have a road kill grill there in Liberal don't you???... ;D ...

Hey Tom_n_Nash,

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I feel that I have a couple of things going for me. For one, I am eager, and for two, I am not cursed with an ego that requires me to pretend I already know everything... ;D ... Good thing, as clueless as I am currently... ;D ... I look forward to working at the art, and bringing many more entries to conventions in the future. This past weekend was for sure a very positive experience. I will be getting a photo of my deer at the convention from Cindy, and if you like I will pm it to you. Incidentally one thing I can do already is tend my dermestid colony. If you know anyone who want skull work done, please keep me in mind.

Thank You & Be Well,

Frank

12. DropTine

DropTine DSCN0137.JPG

Congrats Frank. Awesome that you placed. The more you do the more you will like it. Good Luck to you. Mark

13. Re: My First Ever Convention

Hey Mark,

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I think I am already hooked on taxidermy, and on taxidermy conventions.

Be Well,

Frank