1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

deposit

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by newbie07, Jan 14, 2008.

1. newbie07

newbie07 New Member

if a customer comes in with a deerhead and you take 50% deposit and he says he doesnt have it right now......what are the options to handling this situation? thanks in advance

2. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

1. dont take the deer.

2. set up a payment date, and dont start the deer before he brings it. if he doesnt show, call and tell him its setting on the front steps, i guarentee he will show up.

3. set up payment and cape it off, to free up freezer space, then wait on his payment, see #2.

4. If your a trusting soul, take it, mount it and collect 100% when done.

I use #2 quite often, and usually dont have a problem, but if i dont know the person, i wont take it without the deposit. Russ

3. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Get your deposit up front or dont mount. Even your best friends will take advantage if you let them.

4. waterdude

waterdude You gotta KILL IT... before you can GRILL IT!

Russ laid out the 4 steps for you. I use the 2 step system....steps 2 and 3...usually.
    If he doesnt have the money for the deposit...what makes you think he will have the balance due in a timely manner? waterdude

5. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Russ gave you some good guidlines, but it is your business and your rules........ decide what you are comfortable with and stick to your guns.

6. Sits in the freezer until 50% shows up. I give them 1 month then I call. 1 more month and call again. Certified letter 10 days then its mine. Keep everything documented!!

7. Dangitboy

Dangitboy Member

Use the above post, if you dont, I can guarantee this will happen to you sooner than you think.

8. olky

olky New Member

like most of us, step 4 only gets tried once.

9. visions of wildlife taxid

yes step 4 is not for me, never has been and never will be, but it is a possibility none the less for some. On a sidenote, usually it will be your socalled freinds who screw you, and not the ones you dont know. This i can tell you from experience, even though the dep. is paid when it is dropped off, i have eaten a couple of mounts in the past from freinds, i have one now that has been mounted for 13 months, and all thats owed is 100 bucks of the original 400 from season before last. I am trying to be nice about it, as we go to church with them, but like i said they are the ones who will take advantage of you 9 times out of 10. If he never pics it up, i have a nice showroom piece, but you can only use so many deer heads in my opinion in your showroom, Russ

10. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

i'd give them notice Russ and then I'd sell it......

11. If it's a nice cape/antlers I write out the contract and process deer as normal. I send out for tanning but wont order supplies until i get deposit. If I don't have deposit by the time it comes back from tannery I'll do the same as sdoomed. I process like normal because I know I'll get my labor/tanning fees back when I sell the tanned cape and antlers. I'll cape and freeze it's a POS cape/antlers.

I've never been stiffed (knock on wood) so I guess I'm doing something right. Or the customer believes me when I say they will get punched in the face if they don't pay the deposit ;D ;D

12. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I dont start work until the deposit is in either.. Ive only had a couple not bring in a deposit, and both brought it by withen a few days, specially when they see my sign that says work will not begin until deposit is paid.. And if a deposit is not paid withen 30 days they forfiet their mount for storage fees. This way you KNOW they are going to bring in a deposit as they dont want to loose their mount. And your not stuck storing a head or body in the freezer taking up your space.

13. jward

jward First with a bow

I have a taxidermist here in PA that I used and what he tells people is this. He will take the animal, but he will not start it untill the deposit is recieved. He sets up an agreed on date for the deposit and if he doesn't recieve the money the customer needs to come and pick it up. If they don't pick it up or drop the money he gets rid of it. The customer knows and agrees to this in the beginning. Not sure what the legal issues could be with this practice, but the people usually pick up or drop money. Not sure what I would do if I ever get to that point. I guess use your gut and hope for the best.

14. visions of wildlife taxid

jward, thats fine and all, but i will not let anyone use my freezer and electricity for a month and then pick up their animal, you might as well give your work away to. Once its here, its here to be done or at least tanned, if they dont want me to do it, thats fine, but they pay for the tanning, or my time in caping and fleshing, but that has never happened, i did have a early bowkill come in this year that the guy changed his mind on, he decided it wasnt big enough to mount, rack wise. I had already caped it, so for his 200 dollar deposit we did a european mount and i got the cape, win/win situation, Russ

15. newbie07

newbie07 New Member

thanks for the advice...i told the guy i wouldn't start on anything until deposit was recieved...just thought i would ask to make sure i handled the situation the right way the only thing is i have a head and a rack taking up a lot of space in my freezer....

16. my taxidermist ask for about 40% i only had 30%. i didnt have the money at the time, because im still waiting on payments for four (4) items that i sold to a few fellers on HERE. But my bro and i well known sportsmen in this area and he trust me to bring the rest of the money. if ya are from a small area, it should be easy to collect-one way or another.

17. fish etc taxidermy

fish etc taxidermy New Member

it happened to me i gave up after a year. he didint pay me a deposit. i did all the things the other guys said. now there being used as advirtisment in bait shops. this only happenes to me on fish though.

18. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

If its a repeat customer and I know they're good for it, I'll skip the deposit and just skin and tan until they come up with the deposit money, then I order the rest of the supplies.
    If they are new I will only skin and freeze...one guy changed his mind on me, first stating he wanted a shoulder mount, panel etc.
    I waited and waited for the deposit. Finally ( about two months later ) I called the kids dad, then another week later he came by and said all he wanted to get now was an antler mount...needless to say I told him I was keeping the cape for my trouble...I came out on the better end cause it was a 23" necked deer and a pretty decent cape to boot.
    But I bet he doesn't come by again as I made it pretty clear I was pretty put out by him doing me like that. :mad:

19. Russ you would think that the taxi world would have a standard contract Just for this reason. Im going to do that when i start taking these things in its possible that you can have some redneck nut give you a hard time if you sell the mount for none payment that is why I'm going to do a contract in carbin copy it would be worth the printing charges , mark c

20. michaelf

michaelf New Member

mark c, a contract gives you the advantage of having it in writing but your still going to run in to some deadbeats. overall it's been my experience that your so called good friends and family members are the ones that take the most advantage of you. my first problem of 2008 is with a guy i have known for years. get your contracts printed!