1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mettalic sprinkles

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by mooser, Jan 14, 2008.

1. I seen a Dan Rinhart show on the sportsman channel or the Outdoor channel about mettalic sprinkles. How well does it work. It seemed kind of fake looking , but it could have been the tv too. What do you think?

2. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Was he making Christmas cookies?

3. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

one thing I used to do, I was spraying a can of chrome one day and discovered if I could spray straight in the air, I could catch the spray as it falls down. With a little experimenting, what I would do to some trout was start painting them and when I got to just the right spot in paainting them, basically towards the end, I would first gloss the fish, let it dry, mask off the fins, spray a light layer of gloss down the side, and while it was still wet, I would take that can of chrome or silver and spray it up in the air and the spray would fall down and catch on the side of the fish. Wow, instand scale tipping! It actually works pretty good for commercial mounts. Take the paper off the fins and gloss the fish over lightly and there you go!

4. That sounds really neat M.T.! I've worked with live fish for most of my life. I've never done fish taxidermy, but I can only imagine how hard it must be to recreate those beautiful metalic sheens they have. Would love to see a picture of one that you did this way :)

5. JasonMoe

JasonMoe New Member

Dan Retard

6. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I know a colleague, now retired, who used silver embossing powder(I think he called it ultra fine glitter) on some fish. I saw it on a huge replica crappie he used it on and the effect was quite impressive...eh? It was his last step....even after glossing. He sprinkled the powder into his hand and simply blew it(with his breath) onto the fish before the gloss dried.