1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about fleshing knife.

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by G-taxi, Nov 7, 2006.

1. G-taxi

G-taxi Guest

I'm trying to make a fleshing knife. Can someone please tell me if the blade is double-edged (like a "V") or single-edged?

2. sdunaway

sdunaway New Member

Mine is single-edged.

3. You should use a knife with a single edge.With a double edge the knife will tend to "dive" and make a hole.

4. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

Mine is single edge too

5. G-taxi

G-taxi Guest

Thanks a lot, all. Could you also give me an idea on the bend of the knife? I don't exactly know if this will make sense but, is there a bend in the blade as well as the curve? I wan't to make a Sheffield-type fleshing knife and all I can see from pictures is the curve in the blade, I'm wondering if the actual metal is bent or straight. Also, if anyone has the time to measure the curve in the blade so that I get it cut out right, that would be appreciated.

6. Gman,
    Take a peek at this one. It is what you are looking for.

[​IMG]

7. http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/furhandling/fleshknives.asp

Here is the link if you decide that you want to take the easy route and just purchase. They are $50 plus shipping.

8. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

EXCELLENT PRICES IN THAT CATALOGUE...ALL TAXIDERMISTS SHOULD CHECK THIS ONE OUT!!! ;D