1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

When to wash the hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by wrva206, Jan 15, 2008.

1. wrva206

wrva206 New Member

I have been looking through the old forum, but I haven't been able to find the answer. I have some coyotes to practice tanning with, needless to say they smell like wild dogs, they are also covered in burdock's. At what stage of the tanning process should I wash and comb out the hide. Also what is the best way to wash them, I have skin prep from WASCO would that work?

2. wrva206

wrva206 New Member

This must be a stupid question.... ??? I have been looking at the old forum, but still can't find an answer. The first coyote I did tanned great, no slipage, nice and white, but it stunk so bad I through it out. Is the pickle and tanning process supposed to remove odor and stuff in the fur, or do you wash it at some point. I am very new at this but I seem to have an unlimited supply of coyotes, and they all stink like dirty dogs. I could really use some help. Thank you.

3. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

Skin it out, then wash, sometimes I will use a small amount of bleach in water, soak for 5-10 munutes, rinse then wash in liquid detergent. Should`nt mix bleach and detergent because the combintation puts out some bad fumes. After cleaning go on to your pickle, ect
    BDrake

4. KNOBLOCHS

KNOBLOCHS New Member

Degrease it in some Kemal 4 or Kemsol after the pickle this will help. You can use the Deodorizer Wash to clean it then go to your tan. If it still stinks we have a product called Odor Out that works great on odors, just spray it on. If it will take the odor out of a skunk then it should wipe that odor out of the skin.

5. BWS

BWS New Member

Yup, the odor out works pretty well.

BTW, i rinse before the pickle and wash in tide after tanned right before mounting. After mounting, then use the odor out if it still smells like dog.

6. wrva206

wrva206 New Member

Thank You, very helpful.