1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eppley Trueyes and paint solvents

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by GregJ, Jan 16, 2008.

1. GregJ

GregJ Active Member

I'm going to try the Eppley Trueyes for my 2nd deer. I was going to use either oil or lacquer paint for finishing. Will mineral spirits or lacquer thinner affect these eyes?

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

Those are acrylic eyes and you do not want to use anything solvent based on them. It will cloud them up.

3. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I ordered a pair of those eyes in my last order. Can you put "Eye-Protect" on them before painting without it bonding to the eye?

4. GregJ

GregJ Active Member

I dug a little deeper and found that they are polycarbonate with an undisclosed protective coating for "chemical resistance". I just sent Eppley bros website this question and will post their answer when I get it.

5. kebees4

kebees4 New Member

Ohio
    I use a liberal amount of lacquer thinner on them with no clouding. I have doing it for a while.

6. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    My experience with these highly anatomically correct eyes is avoid excess solvents. Brad and Bryan both have told me that they tested them with various solvents with no ill affects. But I have ran into problems with using excess solvents on them. I recently eliminated Windex from my methods of cleaning and it improved the finished product. I do use mold builder (aka eye protector) before doing any of my painting. These are IMO the most anatomical eyes on the market and I know a few of the masters on here will agree to that also. Do not use any metal tools with them or bathe them with harsh solvents. Just be conscious of their nature and they will turn out beautiful. Good Luck.

7. I wash overspray off of them with lacquer thiner with no problems.

8. I use denatured alcohol to clean them off. Never had a problem.

9. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    After I mount the deer I coat the eyes with molding latex. After I paint the deerhead, pull latex off the eyes. Only part of the eye to clean paint off of is around the edges and I use a toothpick for that and the overspray just rolls off.