1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Meder vs McKenzie

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by rice194, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Every time I use a McKenzie I wish I would of used a Meder instead. I hate the brisket on the McKenzie. It seems like the brisket falls into place with the Meder. I think the muzzle on the Meder is better. Modeling the eyes are about the same. The over all appearance of the Meder is better than McKenzie forms. The only thing though is McKenzie has so many differant sizes.

2. Todd K

Todd K New Member

Hey Rice, if you like the Meder you should try a Mears. I think they are a little nicer.

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

I just prepped one for a meader pedistal and really don't like the look at all. Hope it looks better when mounted up.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO Rice, the thing you love about the Meder form makes it the biggest POS I've ever used to me. That form really sucks canal water. The face is skewed, the ear butts are terribly wrong, the eye sockets are a farce, the brisket is misshapen and the armpit area is one big joke.

5. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

I have a client that loves those POS forms George, this year he got a buck he wanted mounted, I did it but charged him 100.00 more that regular price to do it, he payed.
    I mounted it already and it's gone.
    I'm Glad.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

You know George, I was going to say that, but wanted to be nice about it!(LOL)

7. jorgy

jorgy Member

I have used hundreds of both. The problem I have in Iowa with McKenzie is the the faces are too narrow on some of the forms. Our bucks have huge heads and those thin southern deer won't fill out the skin. I also end up rasping off the big lump scupted on the front edge of the shoulder on the McKenzie.

I have always said the Meder lip line is too short, but it is easily fixed by dremeling a little farther and adding some clay on the corner of the mouth.

9. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Some of you guys really need look into some background on Dennis Behn's sculpting, I've been buying forms sculpted by him since he was at Jonas Brothers over 20 years ago. A LOT of the forms he has sculpted for whitetails were from deer shot off the "Sanctuary" in MICHIGAN.
    I wish I still had the OLD books to show you, pictures of him there and doing it.
    So quit stating they are all southern deer. Just because he's in the south doesn't mean he collected ALL his reference materail from McKenzie's backyard.

10. Todd K

Todd K New Member

I would have to say that some of the Mckenzies are better than the Meder forms. I too Like the 6500 series alot. I just dont care for all that muscle detail they like to add to their forms, especially that 9600. I have never seen a whitetail that cut up in the wild. I simply rasp off some of it and mount. I have been using alot of their forms lately and I am starting to get used to them. But as soon as Buckeye or Hilton come up with some new ones , I'll switch back to theirs.

11. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    well said George...lol

12. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

I use both.They both have pro's and con's.The McKenzie face is too narrow for big deer.The meder brisket is a mess!Now with that said.I just tried a Ben Mears and I have to say I like this form.Great muzzle easy brisket.Most of all perfect fit.Many times Meder forms do not fit your measuremets and McKenzie face too thin.I don't see that with the Mears form everything fell into place perfectly.

13. Go to John Griffith in the training section.You wont find nicer looking whitetail mounts anywhere.Guess what he uses?Meder

14. ed150

ed150 deer city time

not a fan of meder line,mears line pretty nice

15. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I like joes forms i use them on 99% of my deer but once and a while i'll use a mckenzie, I would like to see a face some where in between. (jmo)

16. It is simply a matter of what YOU like. Nothing more YOUR CHOICE and with that said other than * _ who has the credentials of Meder? Which one of you have judged even a few shows.

I have never seen ANY FORM that was symmetrical, there is not anything on the market yet thats even close.

As for EYE ANGLES, read the post Glen Started it.

The more you see live deer and study live deer the more you will see no form is right, Rick Carter says so and My bet is he has studied more deer up close than all of us together.

Nothing in nature is symmetrical yet we expect deer forms to be????

Every form I have ever used has problems, all of them no exceptions.

17. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

well said John

18. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Dang, now I'm second guessing myself. I've never used a Meder form, but was going to try the profile pedestal, now I'm not so sure I want too.

19. bw

bw New Member

I have been in this argument time and again. Im going to avoid a conflict here and just say that most of my thoughts on the topic are in the archives.

But I have one question. And I have asked it before. Could George please explain why he thinks the earbutts are wrong on a Meder? They have no earbutts whatsoever. He has used that argument before and it didnt make sense to me then either.

No sarcasm intended......I just dont understand his logic.

20. I mounted one on the offset sneak. Hated it for a couple days, then really came to like it! I will mount on that form again. I haven't mounted on any other Meder pose though....

Becky....Do it! I want pictures. I really like that pose in the catalog.