1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#16

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#16

Big Hello from Hinsdale New Hampshire! WOW what a great week we all shared in this past week in fish pictures! Over 2000 views pretty great! Speaking of great I hope you all had a great week my friends and family of Fishheads!!! Lets start off with some Big time thanks to our great contributors this past week!

Great work last week by Jerry!!!! ,Sparky!!! ,Marty!!! ,Mark V!!! ,Paul B!!! ,Denny!!! ,Josh!!!! ,Dan B!!! ,Brother Dave!!! ,ArtisticAngler!!! ,Pete!!! Nate!!! and Shaneb!!! Super work and Big thanks for sharing and aspiring all of us!

From beginner's to the best in the world we all join in every week in a critique free and hassle free string with nothing more then great artist and inspiring fish taxidermist and carves get together to share with one another their praise and inspiration of good will and friendship to one another.
    So with out further ado lets get week #16 under way.

I want to start the week with a good friend a new family member to Anglers Artistry and and a great contributer to the Forums Mr. Travis Jones of Seaboard North Carolina! Travis spend a week with us here in NH and we sure did enjoy his compnay and friendship! Travis is quite a motivated gentleman! Travis works with his family in NC in the construction trades of Fencing and deck work that is nothing short of art work in its own right. Travis worked his own talent to the max and I want to share with you a breathtaking Striper (Rock Bass). I share a few photos showing off Travis hard work and talent. I known Travis great family with his wife, son and Mom and dad and brother will sure be checking in here this week as they do each week to see the great fish work you all do!
    So here we go and here is to a great week in fish pictures!!!! #16! Enjoy!

My Best!
    Your friend
    Rick Krane

Here is a full shot of Travis's Striped Bass!
    [​IMG]
    Here is a head shot of the Rock Fish
    [​IMG]
    Here is a great picture of Travis ability to study detail and his ability to really paint!
    [​IMG]
    Here is Mr. Travis and yours truly!
    [​IMG]

2. WOW Great Striper! way to go Travis that eye work is Impressive!, and the Bass mount from the Essay Looks great as well, I cant wait to see a paint up of that one :D!

This week I have another lil guy.
    An 11.5" Golden Trout replica, again Custom molded.
    I just cant get enough of using those bright rich colors, Such fun to paint.

[​IMG]

3. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Sweeeeeeeet!!!!!!!! WOW Josh I love that detail and the color work!!! Great stuff!!!!
    Rick

4. UFD

UFD New Member

Travis, outstanding detail and color on the Striper, very well done. Josh, you are hella artistic, and I can tell you are having a whole lot of fun with your fish projects.

Rick, almost all of the Quisp is in my belly. By the way, it seems that both you and Travis have been feeding off of each other's motivation for the last week - that stuff (motivation) does seem contagious when applied correctly, eh?

Well, this is the last Chinook I have to do.....for about a month. I get to do a couple odd (for me) fish for a short bit of time, so I'm looking forward to that. This Chinook is the RCK7 from JG Replicas, it's about 49" and 68-69 lbs:

5. UFD

UFD New Member

.....and here is a head shot:

6. Nice Chin!!

Dave, what do you use to apply your silver in the transition from the cheek to the upper head? I have been trying to get it on the king I am doing and I cant seem to nail it down.
    Iam not asking for all of your secrets, But, TELL ME ALL YOUR SECRETS!! ;D

I am having a lot of fun on my fish. I have some bigger projects but these little fish are so much fun sometimes.

So you are working on a few of your own projects :) I cant wait to see those.

7. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    Dave you are the man when it comes to chinook!!

Travis great job on that eye, can't tell which is which...

Josh as always looks GREAT! but you are doin all these mounts lately and still keeping me in suspense with that laker!!

8. Thats the whole point! to keep you on your toes. ;D

Honestly I have set that fish out on the table 3 times now. 3! and grabbed the brush and decided not to start painting yet.
    I have been trying to catch a lake trout for Years. Then I get him. I was Terrified to make the mold. Nervous enough my wife didnt want to be around for it in case it went south. LOL
    Now I just don't want to paint it until its time. ;D God that sounds dumb
    Perhaps when its done it will be the end of a pursuit? and the pursuit was half the fun, who knows. LOL

Had it have been a customers fish It would have been long finished. Soon, Soon

9. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    LOL actually i know how you feel, i have caught many lakers, but never mounted one for myself, only customers and when you caught yours funny thing was i caught and kept one to mount around the same time but i dont have that molding talent like you do and skin mounted mine, was considering purchasing a blank of yours instead and still might, but havent painted mine as i have been waiting for you to do yours first because of the insperation i get from your work, i'll have to stop by on my way thru to appleton and nag you to paint it so i can watch!! lol

10. UFD

UFD New Member

Thanks, Collin!

Josh, LOL, nope they're not gonna be my fish, just some client's fish that aren't either a Chinook or a Steelhead (i.e., "odd" compared to what I usually I do). On that transition from the gill cover to the top of the head, I stipple the silvers on with some of my oldest, rattiest, paint brushes (that have worn out from painting scales and look like they are having a bad hair day). Of course, it gets layered over with colors, too, both by airbrushing and color washes by hand brush.

11. Thanks Dave. It just show to go ya When in doubt go Low tech ;D Ill give that a shot. I hope to get my dads King on here in the next week or so.

12. Red stag

Red stag Active Member

Norway
    Great start of this week :eek: Very nice Striped Bass Mr. Travis, Love your very detailed Golden Trout Josh,Dave your Salmonids are allways breathtaking Thanks.

13. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Beautiful trout Josh, your work is inspiring to say the least. Great job on the striper Travis.

14. dougp

dougp Active Member

As usual, you guys set the bar very high! Beautiful work.
    Striper is great Travis, really like the eye work.......
    Rick, what a great contribution to our industry with the teaching and students you've helped to become "fish heads"!
    Josh, love it! Gotta get a couple of your 'gill blanks one of these days!
    UFD....what can I say....just outstanding...hope to meet you someday. Wish we lived closer to each other.

Here's another cust. crappie skin mount. Fish are male spawners, pretty dark. Bait fish is a shad "quickie' replica from a "quickie" wood carving. Cust. wanted a baitfish in the scene.....that's all I had.
    Hope you like it.

15. dougp

dougp Active Member

close ups.

16. dougp

dougp Active Member

lower fish.

17. ArtistcAnglerInc.

ArtistcAnglerInc. New Member

dougp, Black crappies are excelent! So well done.
    Jknuth, one of my favorite fish to look at , and you hit that one on the head man!
    UFD...we all know you keep reposting that same fish every week...just kidding , your the "king"

Cant wait to see what else this week has to offer!

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

After all of that scale tipping UFD, do you walk around with a permanent headache? I'd like to know how many scales you tip a year.

19. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

Heres a stripper and a walleye,Josh your fish are unbelievable,and your painting method is amazing.Ufd another unreal king Doug crappies are great,

20. Slick

Slick Something smells fishy?

Here is my contibution for this week.A Black Crappie and a Walleye. The Crappie was freezedried.