1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#16

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Jan 18, 2008.

1. den007

den007 Active Member

Eyes for Esox.....pike, musky......courtesy of Black Forest Eyes.

2. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Thanks for the tutorial Rick. It answered a lot of my questions.

DougP, another phenomenal job. I look forward to seeing your work on this thread every Friday

3. I did the lower eye, in a "Pink" to see what the reflection would do.
    I'm going to incorporate that in a "Smallmouth" eye.

Buck....

4. Sikk

Sikk Member

The work you guys do is unbelievable, and I appreciate the your willingness to share. Here is a 22" smally repro. I would appreciate any hardball critiquing, as I need to learn what it is I need to know in order to improve the quality of my work. thanks paul

5. Sikk

Sikk Member

here's the other side, as a side note this fish had little to no dark markings, just a greenish gold coloration. paul

6. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

UFD you are a great artist of fine fish I only wish I could mount and paint a king like that in my life time, Doug your fish are always some of the best around thanks. I don't want to come off as a jerk but I get the fish eye thing so where it is already in several place on here post a fish Buck you write you do them so post one then I can see they eyes in a fish. Don't hijack the post with the stuff that seems to follow ya know.
    Tax101

7. den007

den007 Active Member

Taxidermy101

?????????????

Translate please!

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I wouldn't ordinarily stick up for Buck, but Dennis Murawska, aka den007, posted the pics of Buck's eyes.

9. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

Den007 what didn't you get I know you post fish here some times and so have I but fish eyes from Buck? what does this have to do with the week in fish? Good business putting the yes here where lots of people read this but come on. This is a fun post string every week. Like I said I don't want o be a jerk but show a fish with the eyes I would like to see one of Bucks fish. I think others would too. Lets just leave it at that so it doesn't become a problem on this string.
    Tax101

10. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

Den007 I guess I just want to see one of Bucks fish with one of those eyes in it. That would be good right. No offence meant. Tax101

11. dougp

dougp Active Member

Cool stuff! Ain't this FUN??

Here'a walleye replica I did a while back.......Fisherman's Tale blank.

12. Debbie N

Debbie N New Member

MA.
    I m working on a smallmouth I will finish in february but I want to say some rad fish this week. dave the king is out of this world josh I think your work is art doug you do up fish at a top quality level every time I see them. I will put up my picture at the february school break. This is the best site on the internet.
    Stan

13. Thanks for the comments everyone. Excellent fish pics this week. Josh beautiful trout those colors are blazing. UFD that chinook is spectacular and dougp those crappie are a good inspiration to me. They always give me a tough time.

14. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WOW what a week!!!!!!!!
    The talent is flowing from the corners of the taxidermy world!
    Brother Dave!!!!! You get more Qwisp for that King!!!! WOW the detail is amazingly awesome!!!Outrageous!
    Doug!!!! Oh master of the midwest and beyond!!! WOW So much beautiful work come out of you my friend!!! Sweeeeet!
    Pete!!! Great fish work each and every week my friend! Big thank you for sharing your gifts!!!
    Fish Whisper!!! Your work is beautiful! I love the Crappie and the Walleye!!
    Denny!!! Nice eyes! LOL!
    Paul S!!!! Really nice Smallie!!!!! Great display!!!
    Matt my friend eyes are kind f fishy I to would like to see Micheals work. All is good!
    WOW what a week so far!
    I hope every one has a fun and safe weekend! Keep the beautiful fish coming!

Here is a fish from a past student who dropped by to share this with me yesterday. Mountain Ed Babenau. This Smaille had a injury / defect in it had a side of its lower jaw missing. Ed rebuilt it to work this out for the customer he had. Nice fish Ed!
    My Best!
    Your friend
    Rick Krane
    [​IMG]

LEONARDO GARCIA likes this.
  15. den007

den007 Active Member

Dear Tax 101........the pictures with fish with these eyes in them will be coming in a flood, probably next week. Hold onto your seat! I will keep the pics in other threads. In fact, check out the forum in about 10 minutes.

16. bot fly

bot fly Guest

this is a pretty neat section. i like many of the fish. what is the family on here? the walleye is my favorite. the striped bass is not that good. to much blue in it. the trout looks good.

17. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Here's another Christmas fish. This is the fish I referred to earlier concerning DA/water as a preservative and how long you can keep a fish in it. This fish skin came out and the only parts of the fins that remained were the rays. All of the membrane between the rays was GONE!!! I mounted and dried the 'fins' as best I could and in the finishing process, I used medical tape (Derma-something) as backing and then used McKenzie fin-backing cream and Tuff-fin to build up the missing fin membrane. I replaced the 'tail'/caudal fin with one I cast from another fish. Because of the delicate nature of the skin, the mount turned out rougher than I would like but the customer seemed pleased with it. I used several coats of Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Glaze and the overall surface was fairly smooth but the underlying roughness was still evident and obvious to me. From here on out it's overnight on the DA/water preservation and then if necessary, back into the freezer for fish skins.
    [​IMG]

Hope this encourages someone who encounters a difficult problem. I read somewhere along time ago that we should finish every mount that we can, regardless of the outcome..........it's a learning opportunity!!!

jerry

18. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    very nice guys, Doug that walleye is sweet!

19. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Hey Jerry!

Great post with your Bow. You took a situation and applied your trouble shooting ability to make a problem work out to an experience of learing. Great stuff Jerry!!! Super fish too!!!

Rick

20. bot fly

bot fly Guest

hey cole. i said i was not a txidermist. but i get alot of stuff mounted. i figured since pictures were put up you could say what you thought of them. some are very good, and some are very bad. whats the problem with giving my opinion? that striped bass was terrible. just my opinion. why do you email me saying everything has to be ok? what are you talking about?. what is the family stuff anyway. i don't get it. i am a customner not a taxidermist just trying to learn how to pick the good from the bad. whats the problem?