1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#16

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Pete! Fantastic!
    I love the eyes, Fish Eyes are the least understood eyes. you have the shape and depth Spot on.
    How long have you been doing them this way?

2. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

Duxdog... your first post here, really? A very fine start!

Josh... My grandmother would love it. She used to LOVE to fish for bullhead and then she'd cook them up afterwards. I caught many myself when Grandpa would haul her out to some central KS creek so she could catch a mess of them. I never developed a taste for them myself; frankly I'd rather eat your decoy, which looks awesome BTW.

The fresh run sockeye is almost done... gloss needs to dry and it needs a hanger on the back (the customer requested no habitat or driftwood, so it's going to look kinda plain). I'm also about 90% finished with a spawning sockeye. It feels grand to be painting again.

3. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

[​IMG]

40 " northern pike skin mount- custom carved body

Nice decoy Josh..you have got talent !

Nice steelhead duxdog..Dave has some super blanks.

Really like those eyes Harum. I always admire your professional posts.

4. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Hey Josh way cool hornpout as we can back here in Cow Hampshire!!! I love it!
    Pete my brother those eye are the Bomb!!! I love to paint eyes and to see what you do with the gifts you have is breathtaking!
    Gus!!! Way awesome Steelie. I love that one from Dave it is a real nice one and you did a outstanding work of art with it! Hope to see you in MI!
    Aaron!!! Your work is always top shelf! Clean and professional a customers dream!
    This is the most inspirational string on here I feel that way! All this beautiful work is a inspiration to me!
    Rick

5. Wow Dux! I didnt catch that when I saw it.
    Second attempt at a fish?! Very very nice! You got the dusky look on the sides down! Looks great.

Aaron Nice Pike! love the Beans on the side and the way you dealt with the transition into the belly.

Ha Bullhead :D My Dad Loves them, I like them too, you are probably spoiled by all the fresh salmon and trout you get to eat up there. lol
    I think Bullhead is an acquired taste. they are muddy if you use too much oil when you fry them. trim off the fat on the sides roll them in flour and Perfect. :)

6. Terry

Spoiled? I know it's sacreligous to say this up here.... but I really don't care all that much for salmon, and I don't care for trout at all. A fresh sockeye on the grill from time to time is nice. I grew up on bass, bluegill, walleye... the only things close up here are pike and halibut.

Aaron- loved the pike! Very nice looking... great color.

7. LOL
    I know what you mean though I was raised on Bluegill, Bass and Pike. I just started getting into Salmon fishing on Lake Michigan My freezer is full, but after a while I miss the good old Fishfry. :D

Oh man Now I'm Hungry. :p :D

8. Terry

I need to quit playing on the computer and get back to work... I have a sockeye that needs a little TLC. It might even be finished tonight if I get with it. And now I'm hungry too, though not for fish. ;D

9. crankin

crankin New Member

WI

now i cant wait for friday!

Josh very nice

Aaron awesome pike

duxdog nice steelie

Pete them eyes look great!

10. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Great looking eye's...it's hard to make them look better.

11. Terry

Here's that fresh run sockeye (Fisherman's Tale) close to completion. It still needs a hanger for the back and then I'll try to get some better, more 'refined' photos. The color's kind of crummy in the photo of it still attached to the mounting stand; the other one is more accurate in how the color actually looks.

Cool work this week! Have a great Wednesday everyone.

12. Woa! Looks Great Terry!

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Great job Terry. I love the paint job on the fins.

14. Okay I am gonna try this one more time. I may snap if it doesn't work.

Here is a personal trophy of a 49 inch muskie from LOTW. Its a Wynia that I finished last summer and it has taken me since then to get the thing posted on this thread. I hate computers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Terry,...

I love your "Paint wheel" on the wall LOL !

nice work!

:)

Kerby...

16. Thats a Nice looking SKI there Professor! I love the Bronze tones in the back.

17. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

That is an awesome muskie!!! Way to go ! Great work!!! I have a small reproduction largemouth, an oldschool Arp blank, and hopefully it will be done in time for next weeks thread!! Great work to all this week though!

18. Some excellent fish this week !
    Thanks for sharing your fine work !
    I have been selling a few West Slope Cutthroat Trout...this one I finished this week.
    My mold for this fish.

19. Harum

Harum Active Member

Thanks for the kind words on the eyes.
    Josh, I started with glass flint eyes and just couldn't get the look I wanted (it was the depth of the clear and how the iris joined with the sclera band as well as the lack of a sclera band) so I started painting the surface. The eyes looked better but I was still not happy. I even tried coating the surface with a heavy layer of gloss, with limited success. For the 07 world show I made my first set of eyes from scratch (Chum eyes). These Steelhead eyes are part of the progression of those first eyes. Still working on getting it right.

duxdog, Nice detail work in the head.
    Terry, Nice Sockeye. I like how you emphasized the lateral line.
    Aaron, Nice clean lines.
    puzzledprofessor, Nice Muskie. I would like to see your ceramic work.
    Dondi, One of my favorite fish. Very nice.
    Keep those fish coming!
    -Pete

20. I have to say this is the best category on Taxi-net! The fish guys here are really talented and hope to be as good one day. I recently started doing more fish and found that this is where my heart is. Thanks to Rick Krane for bringing so much to to this fish forum. He is always professional and always there to help any of us. It's refreshing to come on here and not hear all the criticism and fighting that goes on in the other threads. Although I don't chime in here very often, I do spend most of my time here. Thanks for making this such a great forum.

Mike