1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#16

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Jan 18, 2008.

1. just got done doing this 47" alaskan king....crappy picture...might retake it

2. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Harum---very cool steely eyes.

My contribution this week is a skin mount steely. It was a demo fish(carved body) in a seminar in Oklahoma last March (remember that Kenny)and is just about ready to attach to the base and send off to the customer in Michigan. I would have liked to get a shot on the base but leaving soon for some steelheadin myself so this will have to suffice.

[​IMG]

Here it is ready for the customer
    [​IMG]

3. den007

den007 Active Member

Hey Harum........stay tuned in! I have some eyes and eye pictures that will blow you away. A snap to paint as well.
    Withing a few days, they will be up on here somewhere.
    C'mon Rick......tell him!

4. See the Issue I have with Eyes are this. The depth on every Glass eye to date is wrong. For some reason people think of Glass eyes as a Big Bubble and the Pupil sets far inside. The also see the Pupal as a Raised black spot. also Wrong. the true surface of 90% of fish eyes at least for the clear portion is a low dome rather then a high round shape.

You are on the path with those Pete!
    Currently I am painting most of my eyes directly on the surface of a sculpted eye then building it up with Thick lacquer. Far from what is Ideal but for me I like it better then Glass eyes. But this approach pushes it further and closer to what I want.

Now I hear ya Den! and I wanna see them as well. :D on top of that Ive heard rumors of other companies coming out with New Eyes as well. We shall see.

I get a Kick out of trying to make my own. I find painting the eye as I paint the fish has given my work a boost over the work I used to do. Thats All I look for is an improvement over the last fish i did. If I can keep up that pace Ill be happy.

Man this week is going strong still!!! I love it! Keep posting your work people!!

5. den007

den007 Active Member

Josh, keep your "eyes' on the mailbox. Little gift coming your way you will appreciate. I just had some pics done by a pro today.....will be posting within days....both out of fish and in fish.
    Oh these are fun, and wait until you see the features and refraction. Paint in 30 seconds.
    Here again is a hand-held pic. (Don't crucify me guys for just showing fish eyes on here .}

C'mon.....fish parts is fish parts, eh???

6. No problem posting those here. At least not for me. Fish parts is Fish Parts.
    Ill be keeping an "EYE" out Get it "EYE" anyway ;D

7. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    Professor awesome muskie!
    Gary great Steelie!

this has been a great week

8. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

Kerby- Color wheel... that got a very BIG LOL when I read that; thanks! :D When I'm running colors through, trying to get something to happen the way I want I can be kind of indiscriminant about what I'll spray paint on- it's probably a good thing the neighborhood kids don't pass by within reach.

PuzzledProfessor- Outstanding Muskie! With fish like that I hope you get your computer woes remedied so you can share more often.

Dondi- Loved the cutthroat!!

Harum- The better reference photos I have of live, fresh run sockeyes all have a noticeable lateral line, hence my decision to paint it as such. To paraphrase that line about customers, "the reference photo's always right". By the way, I have a skin mount spawning chum in the not too far future. I keep a photo in a file on my computer of that chum you shared a while back... I still get goose bumps looking at it.

Gary- Outstanding steelhead! You're definitely one of the people on here whose work I genuinely look forward to seeing each time.

Rich- Loved the king! Got me thinking about a 46" king I have coming up after the sockeyes I am on, though the one I'm doing won't be quite as far along with spawning colors. It would be cool to see your fish on a less busy backdrop to be able to appreciate the colors.

Again, to everyone who shares... thanks for doing so!

9. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

I received a sample pack of eyes in from Dennis...I'm very impressed by the quality and concept. They look like a fun eye to paint...The shape is also nice.

10. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Wow, what a thread this week!! LOTS and LOTS of great fish! Mark

11. Outstanding!!!!! This has got to be one of the best weeks, so far. So many awesome fish! Thank you to everyone who shares their work on here. You are truly a inspiration. Thank You!
    Travis

12. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

A truly magnificent week! Nearly 3000 hits this week and so many beautiful works of fish!
    Terry!!!!! WOW!!! From the ocean to the river then to the wall that is one impressively done Red! I love the head color and the detail is outstanding! great work Terry!
    Professor!!! What a truly breathtaking Muskie! Fantastic work for sure! I m so glad you got the Muskie to post that is a fish of inspiration!
    Don!!! The work you do is so impressive! The West Slope is dead on and nicely detailed! I hope you do well on ebay it is well worth what ever you ask!!!
    Rich!!! Huge King!!! No easy task there! What a great job ob the ginant! Cool background too!
    Gary!!! Super Steelie that is inspirational!!! I know they enjoy this fish!
    Denny great eyes! I have been looking a lot at the set you sent me I don't want to strip then out the look so cool I wish I had a blank set to play with hint hint! LOL! Great stuff!

What a great week so far! This is one of the best!
    Your friend!
    Rick Krane

13. Rick,
    Thanks for the kind words to all !
    Positive reinforcement really does go a long way in motivation ! Also, some of the points of anatomy that you taught at the workshop in Erie, at Paul Czarnecki's studio really helped. Thanks !
    Now ....I have to tell you, when you changed your avatar picture recently, I did a double take, because it looked like you were holding a pipe...LOL !!! Yes, I see its an air brush.

14. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

LMAO! a pipe :D :D :D