1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ugly Babies

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Sep 5, 2006.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Why thank you, Cecil. I'm gratified that you would give me such a compliment like that. But you know, saying you're sorry doesn't erase the transgression. And the only person I'm known for beating up on is you which gives me satisfaction and proves enjoyable to most here anyway. And this just goes back to what I told Kim some time back. "If the truth offends you, by all means you should avoid it where possible." I've made a GENERALIZED statement that not one person on here has not thought at one time or another. (I'll apologize personally to the first 10 people who tell me they've NEVER has such thoughts.) How am I the villian for saying what all of you've thought?

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut. It saves you a lot of grief later. Been there done that.

3. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

I could not help myself on this one........George you are so right!........and Cecil.......so are you.......but please, the both of you please give me constructive criticism on this very rare squirrel mount I just completed......I can take the bad with the good....all in fun boys!

4. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Thats one of those Washington squirrel's isn't it? One side Conservative ,one side liberal. Never get anything accomplished! ::)

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Some of these pics. tell you who is just guessing, the atta boy comments tell you who doesnt know. Soon ( if you keep track) you can identify everyone whose opinions are worthless.

6. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Nice mount Bruce. Keep up the good work. ;D

I agree. If you want an honest opinion, that's what you should get. If you want to feel good about yourself, take your work to your mama's house and let her see it and she will tell you how wonderful it is.

7. R.U.DUN.YET

R.U.DUN.YET New Member

PA
    Some of the work put up on here by long time taxidermists is quite poor. All they are looking for is to have their ego's stroked. The problem is no one has he guts to tell them the truth.
    I personally will not say a word. If they think their work is great , then it is. To each his own.

8. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

George, I have said it before, your are a trip! LOL

9. Brewster

Brewster New Member

George critiquing finished taxidermy? Now thats almost as funny as him giving advice about phone sex! That poor girl is in for a rude awakening too! Or maybe is a dude with a sweet voice? This is too funny! Let's see some of your best work George, come on let us see just how ugly your baby is?

10. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Just for Brewster,
    I will tell you of the Google search
    for Uncle George's Rooster.

Results 1 and 2
    will give you the clue.
    When you see it,
    I doubt you will boo.

Burma Shave

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

Skywalker is right. I try to find something positive first, then comment on some things that may require more research and reference. I love that people are posting their work. I enjoy looking at others work, to a certain extent. If you are proud of your work, show it off, but be prepared for some feed back on this site. I have not posted any pics yet, but probably will, sometime. And I would want honest oppinions from everyone, good or bad.

12. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

I like looking at other peoples work to just to see if it looks crappier than mine although most of the time it doesnt,except for Rassmussen's, I love looking at his work it gives me the confidence to keep pushing forward, knowing that my work looks better than a Master Taxidermist's.

13. catman

catman Active Member

J-comp, you had better cut the Rasmaster some slack, like I said earlier he could snap and you live alot closer to him than I do.

14. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

Naaaa, Catman he's to busy with the bizznesses, that is a scary thought though.

15. Brewster

Brewster New Member

Glen, George's chicken looks ok from the snap shot. Cant see the legs or attachment through the dried arrangement though, and that should be the point. I'll step further from the coop and say that he has about as much credentials to snicker at any ones photos here as he does complaining about the way his friends look on the other end of his 1900 number. We would all love to see more of your work George. I's not bragging if you can prove it-come on lets see some more! After all your the only one complaining about them!
    Also Glen, nice gallery of (snickerable) taxidermy photos.

Brewster

16. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

c'mon george post a pic!

17. I couldn't agree more!!!!! I just saw a picture of a fox someone did. I threw up in my mouth a little. But most of the replys said "not bad...." or, and I love this one, "better than my first mount". I wanted to say that the sight of it made me gag, but I don't want to damage someone's ego and get bashed for telling it like it is.

Great point Uncle George. (at least on this one, haha)

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

For a beginner,that fox was`nt bad.He knew it could be done better and that`s why he asked for a critique.I give kudos to the guy for putting it out there,because that`s how you learn.I would have loved to have had this forum as a learning tool 25 yrs ago.I hope that if people see something on here they don`t like,that they at least use a little tact in their remarks.Some people find these remarks crushing,so remember that an effort is an effort is an effort!We should at least give an A for effort!BTW I`ve seen the "George Rooster Mount" in person and it`s very good. george knows his stuff as I`ve had the privilege of working with on a stone sheep mount a couple of years back.I just hope folks don`t stop posting photos because of a few comments.

19. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

If you guys look in a past Breakthrough magazine, you'll find an article and photo by George. It was on mounting a bald eagle. He can talk all the crap he wants about his work being less ( his words don't come to mind) than anyone else's is exactly that "crap". From what I have seen, he does quality work. He might not win best in world, but there are alot of talkers that wouldn't be able to stand that test.

20. Yes it was bad. Anyone with eyes can look at it and say it was. The person mounting it should be able to look at it and say the same. Just look at a picture of a live fox and look at the mount. Do that with any mount. If it looks like crap, you have to ask youself why. The taxidermist didn't do his job.

All the effort in the world doesn't do a bit of good if the effort isn't put in to the right channels. A little effort in the reference department might head off an animal that looks terrible. And why put something that looks bad up for public comment? So someone can blow wind in the right spots and make you feel good? Like George said, you better be ready for what you ask for.