1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ugly Babies

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Sep 5, 2006.

1. TexasTaxi

TexasTaxi Member

LMAO ... George and Cecil, ya'll remind me of the movie "Grumpy Old Men"!

George, although I am no master taxidermist, I have learned what to look for in a quality "comercial" mount. A while back, on a non-taxidermy forum, I had the exact feelings that you're going through right now. I too, sometimes have a problem holding my tounge and asked some questions, and made some statements. I was cyber spanked by a Moderator and he told me that I was the rudest person on the forum! LOL The picture poster's ego was stroked for quite a while.

It bugs you, but I think you're wasting your fingers talking about it.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I love you guys. About the only thing I can depend on in life is that anytime I say something, it pisses half of you off. Hell, If I could have batted .500 in the minors, I mighta made it to the Baseball Hall of Fame. You still don't get what I said.

Several people HAVE posted pictures here and asked others to look at them and critique them. That's great that someone is trying to learn. Several OTHERS however, have posted their life's work on here with the remarks that we should be humbled by it. Hell, I worked with Ken Walker and have been around Jason Snowberger, Bill Yox, and John Matthews. I KNOW what good work LOOKS like. I never said I was capable of doing it. What will me posting pictures of my work do for anyone? I don't even compete outside of state level, so where did my "credibility" come into play. But as I keep telling you knuckleheads, I don't have to be a concert pianist to know when the piano player screws up.

Someone made a comment that the artist should be able to recognize his own mistakes. That's unfair. Maryland Monroe married Joe Dimaggio, Julia Roberts married Lyle Lovett, and even Bella Abzug married SOMEBODY. Many people can't see the forest for the trees and it takes a very brave soul to put the best work HE'S ever done out there for someone to snipe at. That's not the person I was talking about. I went to one website a few months back to find all the pictures of the shops work COPYRIGHTED and I thought, "Who the hell would want to copy them anyway."

As I said, I'm still looking for 12 of you who hasn't had the same thoughts that I did so I can apologize to you personally.

OH, and for the sake of honesty which is of prime importance to me, Ken Walker never "helped" me do anything, including that stone sheep. I'm not dumb enough to mess with a true master at work. I sewed a few holes and stitched a few seams, but Ken Walker mounted that stone sheep.

3. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

I have to agree with the guys who say that blowing smoke doesn't do anyone any good. There are times when the old adage "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.", doesn't apply. Being new to taxidermy, I love the fact that we can now post pictures for all the world to critique and pick apart. I have plenty of untrained family and friends that will tell me that something "looks nice".
    I would really be suspicious and a bit disappointed, at this stage in my development , if all I got from people is the "looks nice" review.
    Post your pics and be prepaired to hear the truth, evaluate the comments, and learn from them.

4. George

OK, Lee, if it will make you and "the boys" feel better, I'm going to post a picture of a cat I did last year. I hope Phil Soucy doesn't barf in his Post Toasties over this, but I want you guys to give it your best shot. There's also a grey fox posted over in the "Lifesize" category where Chris is asking for a critique. Now you have a blank check. And don't come back half stepping either, because I won't stop telling you you have an ugly baby if you ask me and it is.

5. .wilson

.wilson Guest

George, with that nice camera you have ,I'm thinking the pic is blurry and out of focus because it had to be sized to get on here y/n?

6. George

True Wilson and the fact that on the digital EOS Rebel I have, you have to use the telephoto lens to get closeups from a little farther back than you'd expect. So after resizing it and it being zoomed in, it's pretty fuzzy around the edges which,for me is what molding is to a carpenter, it hides ithe other imperfections.

7. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

What would be the point of beginners putting those pictures 'out there' if the truth isnt what those people want to hear?
    Criticism hurts but thats why its asked for - to learn from experienced and established taxo's. (well, my view anyhow)

I cant work out why established taxo's would want or need to flood the boards with thier pictures though?

8. dozier

dozier New Member

George this site started over fresh for a reason.Yet you enter this site with sarcasm and fowl language.Are you special or something?I think you are the only person that thinks your special.I think your all talk.And all that talk is making up for something.You know George like the little man syndrome. To everyone else this site is for you.If you want to post a picture go ahead.Don't let little George change your mind.

9. George

Dozier, I understand it must make you feel good to shower me with all those compliments, but please don't try revisionist history. This "new" site is not "Genesis", it's simply a growth stage of the most influentional and informative site that this industry has ever known. There's no underlying "secret" or "conspiracy theory". The old technology couldn't withstand the demands of the present. Just like PacMan or Pong. And if YOU were one of those who I've mentioned who never had those thoughts, all you had to do was say so and I'd have apologized here. I do wish I were a "small man" at times. In fact, I'd like to be half the man I used to be, but alas, time, tide and chittlins wait for no man.

BTW, I take exception to being called a fowl person. Any instances that might involve me and a chicken were purely coincidental.

10. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

I wonder who tanned that cat? Looks darn good to me!

11. George

NO YOU DON'T, OS. LMAO

BTW, where's my critique. Don't go easy on me. That's why I posted it there. Git it on.

12. catman

catman Active Member

At this point I must butt in.I'm A visual kinda guy.When I get a breakthrough, the first thing I do is look at every photo cover to cover. Heck I wish the gallery was twenty pages long.I really want to see what other people are creating.Saying that, I must confess there are not many mounts that I look at twice.But that doesn't keep me from turning the pages.To me there is two kinds of taxidermy.The kind that calls your name from across the room and all the rest.I would encourage accomplished taxidermists to post their photos.That is what I want to see.As for George's cougar, I wouldn't comment if he offered to pay me.I'm sure we have all snickered from time to time , but even that gets old after awhile. You will never get a critique from me.But remember how I get when some clown starts "poppin' off".That's when things start getting fun.
    " Loosen up a little skywalker"

13. catman

catman Active Member

SHOW ME SOME PRETTY BABIES!!!!!

14. Brewster

Brewster New Member

George in the first place to be able to mount a commercial chicken after 50 some years of training is hardly impressive. And when did your "credibility" come into play? When you stated how “you snickered at the taxidermy pics posted here!” Doesn’t seem like a streeeetch to assume that you think could do it better ehh? And boy you showed us! wow what a cat! Looks like Yota trying to sneeze a fur ball! Great photo too. LOL Phill Soucy- hell, any bird brain can see that your eye set is all wrong and far from symmetrical. But nobody else will tell you, even though we’re all thinking it, so I will. Keep studying reference George, I hear that’s the key.

Brewster

15. George

Brewster, now THAT'S an ugly baby. After all those words, the only thing you could come up with was "eye symmetry". Haven't taken many pictures of Tohickon glass cat eye installed huh? Oh well, let me help you out here. The only thing really wrong with the eyes is that they're too open. A cat in that posture is literally seething with hate and rage. The mouth should be full of saliva since the cat has been run to ground. Cats that size don't meow for milk. As such, the ears are too alert. Those ears should be almost plastered to the head and folded up somewhat. The muscle structure on the face isn't defined enough to match the snarl. There would be crevices like the Grand Canyon on the forehead and bridge of the nose. The nose is too "perfect" as far as painting and probably a bit too glossy. The photo is fuzzy but it looks as if the whiskers aren't splayed far enough.

Now THAT'S what ANYONE should be able to see in that mount. You had your chance and blew it. Guess you'd better stay in the novice division until your vaunted reference pictures arrive. What else have I missed Phil?

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm not a mammal guy George but that cougar looks alive! I expecially like the eyes. I've see so many cats where the eyes just weren't right.

17. Brewster, just wanted to say thanks for mounting my spike buck for me last year. I am telling everyone that you did a good job. And wanted to show everyone your handy work. I hope to shoot a bigger one for you to mount this year.

[​IMG]

18. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

George is that the cast mouth insert from McKenzie's?

19. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

Hey, i mounted that deer! LOL

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

A snarling animal rarely contorts symmetricaly.That goes for the eyes as well.I actually left a judge a note once stating"symmetry altered due to expression"! I ended up getting spanked on,you guessed it,symmetry!lolThe cat looks good George.What I would have done different is made the expression a bit more extreme and used a slightly bigger head on the manniken.I`m sure your customer was happy which is all that matters. :D