1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ugly Babies

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Brewster

Brewster New Member

I just love it! What a hoot! George I agree with you 100%. I just said it in much fewer words. I said, ”your cat looks like Yoda trying to sneeze a hair ball” I hope I didn’t hurt your feelings. I’d just feel terrible if you ran up a big phone bill talking to your 1900 friends.

Bruster

2. catman

catman Active Member

Like I said you won't get any comments from me on the cat.That's not my job.I have to give George credit for putting it out there, pretty or ugly he put is up for all to see.That took some huevos.

3. Brewster

Brewster New Member

Phil
    That's one "PRETTY BABY" you got, right there in your photo!That is what this cite should be about instead of all this arrogant drivel by a few" knuckleheads".

Damn- I'd love to see more pictures of that cat.

Brewster

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Speaking of arrogant drivel from a few knucklehead, Brewster where is your pictures? Put up or shutup. Unless, of course, that really WAS a picture of a deer you'd done. BTW that IS a picture of Phil's cat and it looks dead to me.

5. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

See what you started George! I think this is the longest topic so far! Makes for good entertainment! LOL

6. K Bauman

K Bauman Guest

George, I was born an ugly baby and 40 years later I am still ugly, and may wife calls me baby. Does it ever go away? This is why there is not a bird photo in my profile.

7. Brewster

Brewster New Member

George-
    Now you’ve gotten under my skin! Like people have tried to explain to you before, if you’d quit pissing into the wind and clean off your glasses, you might be able to see beyond your own nose. That one small photo of Phil’s leopard is more to look at than any cat we could finish. Look at it this way. Take a second or third look at his picture, then go back to yours. Which photo can you look at the longest with interest?

8. catman

catman Active Member

Alright Brewster, don't make me change my picture. I was trying to give the illusion that I had a small head.

9. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

Brewster... your question is one that deals with individual opinion. Which pictures can you look at the longest with interest? For me, that would be George's mount, I can pick it apart for quiet awhile, the pic of Phil's leopard, caught my interest only long enough to identify the hunter and the animal, no offense Phil. The dead animal photo neither interests me as an art subject nor as something good to look at, its a good pic for the hunter's album and something he is proud of no doubt, but not my cup of tea.

George, I’m late on reading the thread. Grrr…You didn’t give me a chance to critique your cougar!
    Be that as it may, I have some things to point out, lol. The whiskers are off, they look laid back and lifeless, but that could be the light and camera angle. The nose pad seems too rounded. With the mouth that wide open and the snarl you are trying to portray, there should be a slight indentation at the lower center part of the pad. The nostrils don’t seem deep enough and that, combined with the roundness of the pad, doesn’t flare out the edge of the nostrils enough for your pose (and I‘m not talking about a flare like a flemen deer, but a slight flare). Knowing that you were going for the seething enraged look makes a difference. Your cat looks pissed, yeah, but it is a far cry from enraged like you say. You already pointed out the other details, so I don’t bother repeating them. I’m attaching two pics that you can use as reference next time you do a cat Mr. Roof. (ducks for cover encase George throws something!) I’m joking!
    The top pic shows more of what you were after, the bottom, what you portrayed. Maybe the newbies can understand your description better with it. ;-)

[​IMG]

While I’m barking up the tree here, I’ll continue. George started this thread not to cause an uproar or make arguments. He was just pointing out if you post a pic and ask for critiques, be prepared for the responses, good and bad. I want to add to that point, a photo of a mount is totally different from the mount itself depending on lighting, angle, etc. etc. etc. An award winning mount can look crappy in a photo and a bad mount could look pretty good depending, and usually it doesn’t look quiet the same as the mount really is. If you want a true critique on your work, take it to comp… you don’t have to pay to enter it, I have had judge’s meet me at the car and look over a mount to give me some pointers. Or get another local taxi you trust to look over the mount. If your looking for a pat of the back, ask a friend who isn’t a taxi to look at the mount. Oh, on the same topic, don’t post pics and ask, “do you think this will do good in competition?” If you want to know how good it will do enter it!

You guys on this forum can be so amusing, fighting for the sake of argument. Debating is all fine and good, but you young pups all think your way is the best way and get offended if any ol’ dog on here tell you like it is. If I was always offended by GeoRoof, BillY, Cur and any of the other taxidermists I looked up to and asked there opinions of, I wouldn’t be in taxidermy anymore, its just pointless. Water off a duck back… sticks and stones!

You want to talk about who’s on the other end of a 900 #… I entered the taxidermy chat under the alias of Wolf in 1999. For over two years I was considered a middle-aged guy interested in taxidermy, they never thought they were talking to a young teenage girl, until I finally told (damn, you should have seen the chat that night, you could have heard a pin drop, LOL). During that time, I was slammed if my ideas were stupid, critiqued upon fairly and harshly, and I can quote things I was told, that if repeated to some of ya’ll I’m afraid would have you crying for your Mommy; which is pathetic. I held a respect for my elders, and listened to what was being said and told, and learned from my mishaps. I wouldn’t be half the taxidermist I am without those old guys setting me straight when I strayed. They got to where they are with a lot of hard work and time. I’m no “know it all” and don’t claim to be; I’m 21 and have a long way to go, a lot of learning and a lot of hard work ahead of me. BUT, if I learned anything from them its not that they are high and mighty, they just don’t take any bull**** and tell it like it is. They earned the right to sit back and snicker if they so please and I guarantee you they are laughing now reading my post, cause they know what kind of pistol I am.

Don’t let the small stuff get to you… listen and learn.
    Howl at ya’ll later,
    Amethyst aka Wolf

10. Brewster

Brewster New Member

LOL! Catman you could have had a little better composition in that shot -
    But for real, that is one bad ass cat!

Brew

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thanks Wolfie,I think I said those things while Brewster was swishing his lips all over Phils butt. The cat really wasn't that bad for commercial but it was a manufactured mouth set so you'll have to blame Roger Martin if the nostrils are off. The ears are the biggest flaw that I saw, but the customer insisted that they not be "curled up" or the eyes "squinted". As Rick Carter said, "Snakes do what snakes do." I did what the customer wanted. He was happy and so was my bank account. I only posted it to give the terminally challenged an opportunity to slam me and they sort of half assed that in my opinion. Brewster still hasn't posted any of HIS work, he just keeps sucking up to Phil. LMAO

Phil, why do I sense that we might see that cat again?

12. Brewster

Brewster New Member

Glad all is well with you George was beginning to worry. Still havent cleaned the piss off of your gasses yet? We all know it's not your fault, but hell suck up? I suck up to no one but dead animals, that everyone can see and so shoud you.

Have a brew

13. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

George have you sensed that these people are jealous? Forget the mount, your KARMA(LOL) tells the story. They like a more touchy-feely forum, with plenty of feel good smoke blowing! Keep on doing what you are doing, be honest, and screw em! You can be as nice and humerous, as possible, and you are still going to have shite head problems. I cant help but say that the other cat photos, look like something out of a reference book, rather than a home photo. Of course nothing can be proved, be we arent dip-sticks,l are we?

14. weekley2006

weekley2006 New Member

post deleted

15. Paul I

Paul I New Member

Hi Paul, I deleted the last post, so I had to do this one too. Just to be fair, and to keep the name calling down. I know you understand. (Good point, though)

16. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

Yeah, never took much stock in the new cast lip and nose system. I like sculpting my own, that's what I get for being a penny pincher. Your cat is good for a commercial mount, but you did ask for critiques George, I had to be blunt with you, ;D

Brewster... sucking up to dead animals will get you no where man! They are cold and lifeless and don't respond to your flattery; you hang around um too long and they start to rub off on you. People start loosing respect in you and you find yourself sucking up to another dead animal and no one really cares. :-\

Hmm, seems I pissed someone off now... I've been smited at last. That's what I get for posting on a controversial issue. Alas, they don't know me very well do they?

Cheers to the full moon, Aahhooooo.......

17. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Weekly has the huevos de la polo.Wait a minute, they have none!

18. Brewster

Brewster New Member

Sh1t where did all these moldy moths come from? Better duck and cover with my 6mm that'll do just fine, I think. LOL

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Wolf ,that was a great critique and you even backed it up with reference!You can be sure George didn`t mind as he asked for it.btw,smites add character. ;D

20. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Brewster, is that punky Brewster? :-*