1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

deer hoove tutorial

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by rnviper3, Jan 20, 2008.

1. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

i have seen questions here about how to clean out deer hooves. i one time ask the same questions here myself. i know pictures make it a lot easier, so i took some while i did my last one and decided to share it here. i hope this helps those who need it. sorry for having to post this 2 pictures at a time. i don't know know others do it in one post.

picture 1. split the leg up the back side of the leg to the dew claws.
    Picture 2. start skinning up the dew claw.

2. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

picture 3. find the last joint. this is the knuckle.
    picture 4. detach the dew claw.

3. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

picture 5. make a cut where the skin meets the Hoof.
    picture 6. i use my scalpo to work up inside the hoof. cut all the way around the inside of the hoof trying to get to the last joint.

4. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

picture 7. find the last knuckle.
    picture 8. remove the knuckle.

5. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

picture 9. this is what it looks like when its done. just finish cleaning out the meat and fat and your done. if you have trouble with it slipping in your hands as your skinning, put some borax on it for a little grip. i hope this helps those who have a hard time picturing it.
    bob

6. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Thanks. I just skinned out an elk foot and was begining to wonder if I had actually gotten it down to the last knuckle. Looks like I did!

7. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

i use the same process on elk and caribou

8. Thanks for posting. Have a lifesize ( first one ) to do soon and will be doing this for the first time. Black buck, looking forward to the challange.

9. Besides cleaning out the meat and such, is there anything else you have to do to treat the hoof?

10. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Nice tutorial....did you remove the hoof bones inside the toes? Those are tricky, but it's easier to get them out if you make a cut down the middle of the bottom of the hoof. That way when you mount the skin you can just cover up where you sliced with Apoxie sculpt and texture them.

11. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Nina, there is still a triangular shaped bone in the very tip of the hoof. yes you could take them out, but it really isn't all that important if you clean it out real good, then tan good or DP very good. bakes does this answer your question.

12. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

If anyone ever wants any feet Freeze-dried let me know we do tons of them. {10.00 Each,,,, white tail,,,,,, . larger feet a bit more }. All you have to do is put in your ready rod or what ever you are going to use when you get them back. Pretty easy.

Always call b4 you ship anything to us for shipping instructions as well as our New Address. And ship only on a Monday. Preferably UPS.

Have a good one. ;D ;D ;D

Galen Getting
    Edgewater Taxidermy N.

Hibbing Minnesota

218-263-7177

Central time zone, let is ring till you get to us or our voice mail after 8 rings.
    It will be forwarded to my cell phone if I am out of the shop for any reason.

13. lizerd555

lizerd555 New Member

I am new to taxidermy and was wondering what DP is? I lovethe idea of preserving a leg, i saw one with a thermometer mounted on it once and thought it was beautiful.

14. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

DP Is dry preservative. Beware of asking about the difference of that and tanning. Either works good if its cleaned out good. You can get it from any supplier, but I like the one from WASCO the best.

15. tem

tem Well-Known Member

thanks. it helped me out also.

16. Really glad that you posted this. I just did four deer feet today; it is a bit tough to get down to that last knuckle. I use an x-acto knife, and the secret seemed to be a fresh blade if it started to get tough near that last knuckle.

17. Great tutorial!!!!!

18. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

The last joint is much easier separated if you begin cutting and separating from the front of the joint, rather than from the rear.

19. I will keep that in mind when I do my next set of feet. Thanks!

20. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

im glad that this tutorial is still able to help some out.