1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Re-attaching cut in half Elk forms tutorial

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by michael p., Jan 23, 2008.

1. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Gorilla glue and grabber screws. This usually takes about 5 minutes and costs about $1.50. Do it today and mount it tomorrow. I do the Mikey P. method if I turn the head or something. I do the G.Roof method If I am out of Gorilla glue. You can have it done in less time than it takes to go to the store and buy the gorilla glue. There have got to be a million ways to do this. PS. That mannikin should have been cut at an angle and not straight across.

2. Michael P thanks for taking the time to do this. I just have one question, maybe I should be asking George... what in heaven's name is a "gasoline ass"?! ???

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Gasoline asses got their name from an OLD joke. Two boys working in the yard with a mower when the cat came by. One boy grabbed the cat and took the gasoline and poured it on the cat's ass. The cat went wild and ran in circlers around them until finally it fell over. The other boy was terrified and said, "You killed the cat". To which the other replied, "Nope, it just ran out of gas." That's what happens to gasoline asses. They run in circles and end up falling over without having accomplished anything. Now you know.

4. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

;D :D ;D :D ;D ;)

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Yes, and McKenzie also sells a $295 cape stretcher, that doesn't mean that it's the only right way to stretch a cape. :)

Well call Mike Gillis & get on his ass for me LOL I was pissed when I picked it up anyways, that was one of the reasons I drove over to the wharehouse, I had placed about a $1,200 order & figured I would save shipping & not have to glue the elk form together, but as we saw only one wish came true :)

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You know Michael, that's a great point. Just as soon as the form comes out of the mold, some gofer runs it through the bandsaw so that it will fit their shipping boxes. If that's the reason it's done, then why in the hell hasn't some rocket scientist there figured out that they could CAST THE FORM IN TWO SEPARATE PIECES. I know that Tom Ray's bears come that way so they can be plugged together. A straight cut isn't nearly as good to work with as one cut on a wedge, but dammit, it seems like they COULD get a big enough band saw to cut completely through the form. I hate it when the spiral cut it and then snap it apard. I don't know how you Bondo guys get through that. It's easier with foam but still seem to have been avoidable.

8. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

We've been using straight bondo on everything, Elk, Moose, large lifesize etc.. for 21 yrs and haven't had one single problem.

9. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

I chunk them out and foam them, heck of lot cheaper than bondo and MORE surface area that bonds to each side

10. ed150

ed150 deer city time

i have always used fiberglass,but the foam sounds like a good idea

11. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

Thanks for the post, this site is quite a tool!