1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mallard--Widgeon???

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by AOTaxi, Jan 23, 2008.

1. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

Got this one in the other day I could only think a cross or regressing drake, it has four curls on the tail.
    What are your thaughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It may very well be an elderly hen who no longer has enough estrogen to suppress the male plumage.
    You should surgically sex it when you skin it. It could be interesting!

3. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Thats what this one was { I know most have seen it but in case you missed it } I sexed it and it was all female down there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

All male parts and four curls on the tail

5. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

any better pics of the wings (tertials, secondaries), side pockets??

6. black/mallard hybrid

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Just FYI, all mallard drakes should have at least 4 curl feathers. I have even seen a couple that had 6.
    Loss of hormones won't change the plumage on a drake mallard, so I would guess that it's either a late hatch or its a mutation.
    I have read that it isn't all that uncommon for mallards to fail to develop their breeding plumage, and that this is (theoretically) how the black ducks, mottled ducks, etc originated.
    It also might be a 2nd or 3rd generation backcross between a mallard and a black duck, depending on where it was killed.

8. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

http://10000birds.com/hybrid-mallards.htm
    I think we found a winner, good call on that one Nancy and thanks to Arkfisher for the link, it is cool !!

9. flockshooter

flockshooter New Member

Does it look like this? I have asked on other forms and it is either a hybrid black or just a mallard. I think black hybrid because of the olive bill.
    [​IMG]

10. John_E

John_E New Member

Great website AO TAXI

11. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

12. grouseandwaterfowlpark

grouseandwaterfowlpark New Member

Just my opinion but I think it has a touch of American Widgeon in it the speckling in the neck makes me
    suspicious I have raised them for 30 years have seen a lot of cross
    Best Regards Dan

13. flockshooter

flockshooter New Member

I've had a friend of mine tell me the same but the olive bill throws me back to a black. It looks 95% mallard regardless. Does the wing color tell anything in your opinion?

14. almt1012

almt1012 New Member

the hybrid teal-mallard and woody-mallard were very cool. would love to see those upclose.

15. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

the wing color on the one that I have in is all mallard in IMO

16. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

teal mallard cross? I woundn't even want to picture that going down....

17. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

might need a step stool ???

18. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

I got a National Geographic bird field guide for Christmas, and in it they have a picture of a Black/Mallard hybrid. Your customer's duck looks exactly like it.

I wouldn't think there is any Wigeon in the mix, just because the entire shape of the bird is Mallard/Black. If there were Wigeon in there, I bet there would be some characteristics in the shape of the bill or body.

*Funny note......A customer brought me a duck this year, that was solid green/black. Everyone thought it was a Black/Mallard cross. Of course, I did not want to burst their bubble, but it was totally a Black East Indie, probably escaped from someone's pond! Hehe!