1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What a Fox Looks Like

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by trapperr, Jan 24, 2008.

1. trapperr

trapperr New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zachhanel

zachhanel New Member

awesome shots, you should post it under reference pics under lifesize so people can use the pics and it doesn't just get lost on this part of the forum,and i love the fourth shot,
    zach

3. zachhanel i alway's download good ref pics to my pc. so they don't get lost..lol

4. zachhanel

zachhanel New Member

you misunderstand i meant under mammal ref pics for future users so when they look for ref maybe they can find it

5. cm5533

cm5533 New Member

Beautiful ref pictures.I would love to see some of your coyote pictures ;) Charles

6. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, while those ARE nice looking pics, you wouldnt want to use a young fox in distress or restraint as a reference photo. The ear angles and lip lines, for example, show an animal alarmed or at least not how we want our mounts to look. It appears to be two or three fox pictured, I could be wrong, but at least a couple are young of the year, the other appears to be a female. I would say to use an alert focused fox in a natural, not trapped setting for reference. Like I said, I like looking at any pics, those are beauties, but not reference shots.

7. Bill Yox

Yes, they do...the angle of the facial disc, ear angles, this one even is licking, an obvious sign of hightened agression or annoyance. Hey, Ive trapped for as many years as Ive put these buggers together. Those fox and that cat wouldnt have those expressions if they were mousing, or alertly surveying their surroundings, etc, as we depict them in our commercial mounts. Any decent predator taxidermist will tell you that, as well as compliment you on some very nice pics...as I did.

8. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

Bill is pretty much right on the fact that they are showing distress and aggression. I will say trapperr that
    these shots on the other hand will show people the correct angle of the hair inside the ears. It's a horizontal
    pattern, not vertical, as many do. Take a look and see just how little if any skin shows inside the ear. Now take a look at most predator mounts on here and see a ton of skin showing and not much hair.

Mike

9. Bill Yox

Oh, quit being a weiner. I told you they were nice, just like the other guys did. Look, Ill level with you. A couple of them are pups, and they show ears that are cocked to the side like a poorly mounted fox, or distressed ones, anyone with a lick of knowledge of predators knows it. There, is that my dominance over you ok enough? Now you got something to bitch about, now I did what you accused me of. I tried to very nicely add that pics of distressed animals arent always the best choice for reference, not critique or critisize your abilities. Youre a bit too insulted based on what little was said to you. I didnt say it to intimidate you either.

10. sgwool

sgwool Member

I think there is a lot of good reference one can derive from the photos. I don't think anyone is going to mount a fox based solely on any ONE of these pictures. You need more pictures than a few to mount an animal. Thanks for the photos.

11. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Okay, here I'll jump in, Trapper, your pictures are nice to look at yes, as hunter and trapper, or any sportsperson.
    Are they great reference to use , to me, no.
    These fox are stressed, You'll most likely jump me and defend them, that's okay but take them for what they are. The faces are tense, muscles are constricting in all kinds ways ,ears pulled down and deep into and along the skull, making them not a good reference for a relaxed or focused fox under normal circumstances.
    Some of these are very young pups, as Bill states yearlings, those ears on pic two and three are bordering on, if not, Submissive in my view and look like a typical poorly mounted fox.
    They are nice pics of trapped fox under duress, I'll agree, great catches, nice pics but not for me and my reference folder.

I do want to Applaud you for , in your pictures , not including the trap.
    That is a trapper that is a class act in my book.

Mike your correct on the hair pattern but that's all I'll give them