1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler burrs falling apart

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by skullclnr, Jan 25, 2008.

1. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Hey everyone. I pulled a skull out of degreasing the other night, it has been drying and I am noticing that the antler burrs are real soft and crumbly. You can use your fingernail and cut right into them. I have a feeling this is because of boiling with salsoda. Any ideas on how to fix, spray with a little sealer? Also the tops of the burrs as they dry are getting very white and faded, from the boil I assume. I need to stain but what color/brand to use is beyond me. Any one ever had luck staining that can offer some advice?

2. I also boil and use sal soda and have not had that problem before. As far as stain goes I have had good results with van dykes antler stain it does not stain too dark. You can apply and rub it with a cloth to keep from getting too dark. Good luck let me know if you figure the cause of that antler burr problem.

3. Helicity

Helicity Squirrels – Natures Road Bumps

I just use walnut stain for wood on my skulls with a lot of sucess. I can stain a whole whitened antler back to the best color.

4. candyman

candyman New Member

how to fix? stop boiling ! I use beetles but know a lot of people that SIMMER their skulls. I think your temp was too hot? I use a couple different shades of color (stain) Minwax brand. Seems if you mix a couple colors they look pretty natural. hope this helps - not tellin ya your way is wrong or my beetle way is right. "Thats why my saying is Dont Boil That Trophy" but simmering does also work good luck

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Boiling didn't help, but the sal soda will absolutely dissolve bones. I warn people about using that stuff and not watching the process very closely. Years ago I put a bear skull in a pot and allowed it to boil for about 4 hours. All I found in the pot was the teeth.

6. done right taxidermy

done right taxidermy New Member

use mod podge to seal the crumbling areas and then after that dries, apply apoxie sculpt and re texture the antler burr and smooth out.... after that dries apply a heavy coat of walnut stain and let set for 30 mins; just long enought to tack up. then take a q-tip with acetone and wipe down until the color matches. hope this helps ....

7. HWF

HWF Member

IOWA
    Before I got beeetles I used meat tenderizer in my boiling process.
    Hunter