1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bondo ears for beginers

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by tazzymoto, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Here's my method for bondo ears, Ive been using this method for 14 years, and it works well for me i do all my mounts with bondo from antelope to whitetails, even African. To start make sure your ears are turned all the way to the edge, you'll know when you get there you'll have a few holes to sew. Make sure you clean with thinner or acetone to remove all the oil.

2. Now i like to ruff up the cartilage. then clean again. scrub with paper towel. mix resin and bondo 50/50 for best results.

3. Now catalize bondo resin mixture, stir well, Pull apart fiberglass mat. cut with scissors.

4. mix well and seperate in two . make a pocket in the ear and put half in each ear, make sure the mix gets all the way to the tip , this will help eliminate air pockets.

5. hang the ears over the edge of the table. Work out the air and thin the ears, make sure you work on them until the bondo starts to kick. then you can thin the edge of the ears. keep working them, nad grooming with a brush.

6. Very nice bondo work!! Great tutorial.Jared

7. chongo

chongo New Member

Does the brushing of the hair help shape the ear? Otherwise, why not wait to brush until after it has already hardened?

8. Jared, My question is resin? What type do you use? I bought bondo but thought it was just the two parts, bondo and hardener? Thanks for the post very timely for this beginner!

9. Dougtman, I use Epo-grip liqiud fast set. It's a two part epoxy that sets up in about 7-10 min. I need the extra time to make sure there's no drumming :D I use to use bondo, but I was never any good at it. As you can see Tazzymotto is very good at it. Nice crisp ear edges.

10. scanman

scanman New Member

Dougtman, bondo also makes one with fiberglass strands in it, so you don't have to cut your own mat. Our Walmart sells it, works great.

11. The brushing is very important to a good ear, it lets you see the hair patterns, it also helps smooth it out. The resin is usualy on the shelf next to the bondo. Take your time and do one ear at a time until you get good at it.

12. Kenny

Kenny New Member

Dougtman, thank you for taking the time to give help to beginners. The pictures are great. Are you talking about fiberglass resin?

13. Kenny

Kenny New Member

???OOPS! My apologies to Tazzymoto. I wasn't paying attention.

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but put a disclaimer on this method FOR BEGINNERS. I absolutely think it should NEVER be your first choice on whitetails. Earliners guarantee you some semblance of symmetry in the ears with little or no effort.

Tazz does a superb tutorial and I find nothing amiss in his methods. He even produced an acceptable product, but I want all of you to look at the finished deer. If you look very close, you'll see that the right ear (deer's) has a slight ripple along the bottom edge. On the left ear, it's the top edge of the ear that's wavy with a slight "bump" on the top edge near the tip. Remember now, Tazz has been doing this for 14 years and is still susceptible to having these maladies show up. Tazz isn't alone and I'm not picking on him. It happens to me and to dozens of others when we use this method. It happens to me more often than it does to others I'm sure and I've been doing taxidermy for 50 yeas. FOR BEGINNERS, the wisest thing you can do is to buy a quality earliner and learn how to install it. Removing ear cartilage isn't brain surgery and too many of us do it for anyone to claim "I just can't do it".

15. CAMOGUY

CAMOGUY CAN'T COUNT IT TILL YOU MOUNT IT.

NO OFFENSE GEORGE IT IS STILL EXCELENT WORK TO A CUSTOMER. HE ISN'T TELLING THE BEGINNERS THIS IS THE WAY TO GO HE IS JUST GIVING HIS METHOD.

16. Anvil

Anvil New Member

Why not use fiberglass chop as opposed to cutting up your own? Is it price? Just wondering. Thanks for the post. I thought it was very well presented.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Camoguy, please read the title of the thread and tell me where I got confused?

18. michaelf

michaelf New Member

Would like to add two tip's to this. 1st, after the ear has been roughed up and cleaned with acetone I like to go over it with a hair dryer to remove any excess moisture and then put a coat of Elmer's carpenter glue on the ear then proceed as tazz outlines. I have found by doing this there is very little chance of drumming. Hope this helps.

19. I use fiberglass mat because its there with all the other auto body repair supplies. I got used to the mat ,i worked in a fiberglass factory for 15 years i got all the scrap i could ever use.including resin . i don't know if chop is cheaper or not, . I don't know if bondo is cheaper than ear liners, but Ive used both, I like bondo because one size fits all no guessing. i think its good to know more than one way to do ears, you never know when it will come in handy. But George is rite in one respect, ear liners are much easier to learn and do a presentable job. for competition i use bondo as well just a different method.

20. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

When I started back doing a little taxidermy after a layoff of over 20 years, I first began using the earliners but had a lot of problems with drumming. Reading hear on the forum there was a lot of advice as to the preparation of the ears and earliners to prevent the drumming and I did try to apply the information I gleaned from reading the posts. Meanwhile I tried the bondo method after reading a couple of informative posts like this one. I can't argue the "science" of the chemical make-up, whether or not it is or is not an adhesive, etc. but one thing I am sure of, for me (and I stress for ME) the bondo method is easier, faster and a lot more forgiving. I keep reading about how easy it is to use the earliners but I have found it exactly the opposite (again, speaking for MYSELF). I have not had any drumming whatsoever with bondo and as I continue practicing and reading the tips presented here on the forum I have been able to do a very decent job and I'm still improving. I want to give the earliners another whirl, but with the results I am getting and the comfort level I have working with the bondo I have been hesitant. Thanks Tazzymoto, for the post.

Mike