1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bondo ears for beginers

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by tazzymoto, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Thanks for the info.

2. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

I took a class with Joe Meder and thought I learned how to use Bondo.... Well after my first deer I went back to earlines and at the meat processing for deer I cut off over a half dozen ears to practice on with Bondo. It takes practice and for some its just not worth it but, if you decided to go forward with the Bondo (which I will do next year) get yourself some ears for practice, develop a tool to hold the ear open, and use only about a golf ball size of bondo to place in the ear working the edges thin. If you get an air bubble just pierce it with a pin using lacquer thinner to remove the excess. Go to the tutorial section and watch.......

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I use throw away frosting bags, cut the tip off and squeeze the bondo into the ear. I also spray windex on the ear and around the earbutt hair side so the bondo won't stick. Works great. Michael p taught me windex trick :)

Sent from Rae's iPhone

4. Thanks for all the tips. I will be trying the freezer paper and windez methods. The pictures really help explain this process.

5. Ustor

Ustor New Member

When I started doing taxidermy, I used the bondo method....but was not satisfied. Most of the time it was the thickness. Then I think I tried every ear liner on the market and every glue combination. At the end of the day, I went back to the bondo method. My suggestion is to stick with the bondo.

6. To me, the most important thing to get correct is your mixing of the right amount of hardener. You need the right amount of time to get your ear shape without being rushed. This takes trial and error to learn the right mix. Once you get that down, you will have the time to work the ear for the right thickness, shape and hair pattern alignments.

7. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I was shown ear liners as easier, more consist ears, I'm sure the bond can be MAYBE easier, but I wonder about ear holding the full shape I want, Plus your not showing the ear butt. I was shown just attach ear liner to form with clay. I have found for me. I cut out a triangle under cut for clay to hold better as I use the clay to create a smoother ear butt. Plus I found using pins to position ears in place, works very well to maintain the location while clay dries.