1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What was Today? National Bobcat............

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by pyeager1, Jan 25, 2008.

1. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

What was the deal today? Was it "National bobcat price checking day" or something? I had four different calls today of people checking the price on a bobcat mount. Might have been the same person each time seeing if they could get a different price? Two sounded promising, but one I had to laugh when I told them my price and specifically said "they start out at that". The guy popped off that so and so would do it for $250 any pose. Well, I politely told him if he was looking for price that is where he should take it. :mad:

2. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Bobcats are taking over the world. I turned down over 50 last year. Not as big a problem this year as everybody knows I stopped mounting them. To me just not worth it for less than $750 and everybody thinks your crazy when you tell them so I just scratched them off the list period.

3. Same here, they almost chocked when I told the 575.00 its always so and so will do it for less. I used the old they know what their work is worth.

4. mrdux

mrdux Member

I seriously think that 99% of the public has no idea what a bobcat looks like or cares what one mounted looks like. I get lots of call for prices but haven't got in but 6 or so the last year. The ones I see mounted locally by others are embarrassing to say the least. I did a juvenile cat reaching out for a butterfly a couple of years ago. It was a display piece for a local business. Soon a competitor showed up with a very similar cat, reaching for a butterfly, at the same business. I swear the positioning of the other cat could have only been achieved by a cat that had been run over by a truck!! There was no way anatomically for a cat to twist its spine into the position. The eyes were not even close to correct and the mouth was really bad. It was frickin' terrible. I got a chance to see some folks reaction to the competitor's mount and they ooohhhed and aaawwwed over it. I also got BLASTED on another forum for commenting on the ear setting on a cat mount that was done by someone else. The ears were on 45 degree angles on the sides of the head! Everybody was slobbering all over the mount on the forum till I said the ears were wrong. The guy shouldn't have asked what I thought. I think as long as the public accepts garbage work for cheap prices, it will continue to be hard for some to get a reasonable price for their work.

5. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I went up to 525, which still isn't enough, for bobcats this year. I've had many calls but have taken in only two. Most in this immediate area are charging 350-400.

6. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

I can't see touching them for less than $1050 and I think that's not enough!

7. Ron B, I would do 50 bobcats all day long at 700.00.Must be nice to have that kind of luxury to turn people away like that.Thats 35,000 dollars in sales just off of bobcats. :eek:

8. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

amen

Do they still purr & blink robotically after you mount them for that much? holy cow.

9. Kim Owens

Actually no, they don't but sure as heck look like they could. Let's look at this logically- skinning, turning ears, eyes, feet (yes, all the way down to the claws) approx. 2-3 hours @ 60.00 hour- $150. Form, tanning, supplies, shipping etc.- $175. Pare-down, form prep, alteration(because most have to have some alterations done), sewing holes (there are always holes- sometimes HUGE holes), mounting, more sewing 8 hours @60.00- $480. Drying- 1 hour- $60. Coming in the next day and doing what taxidermist do- taxing the skin, working the eyes, more blowing of the hair- 1 hour @60.00. Building a 'suitable' base and attaching- at least 1 hour- $60. That comes to $985. So, we do all that and we make a lousy $65 profit! We have no less than 35 Bobcats to do at this time, all at $1050. It's been said on here before- most taxidermists are terrible business people. Look at the numbers I put on here, they are very realistic. Even at $700, you're losing money.

10. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I didn't know the national hourly rate for taxidermist was $60 per hour? :eek: I'll have to ask for a raise.

11. Becky P

Sounds like a fair rate to me. The shop we took our boat motor to for an estimate charges $69/hr. (we opted for a new motor after the estimate - ouch).

12. Kim Owens

Taxidermy is labor intense. When was the last time you had a plumber or a mechanic do something for you?

13. Becky P

Kim, how do you get that through customers heads, esp. when there are so many around you (well, me) charging under $400? I had some get really huffy with me for 525.
    You have a name/reputation to back you up, I'm still trying get there.

14. Kim Owens

We are blessed with a really great clientele. If they want us to do it, they pay the price. We lose some because of price but that's ok with us, bobcats are a pain is the butt. We went to $1050 a couple of years ago to drive away some of the work, it didn't work. Funny how that works out. We get $600 for a Whitetail and $925 for a Turkey. It amazes me that people spend that much money on taxidermy! LOL. With that being said, though, we all should have a standard of living that will give us the things we want and need out of life. The beautiful thing of self-employment is that you get to set your prices. Be honest, do quality work and they will come. It's all in an attitude. Lucky for us, there are so many people who do terrible taxidermy work that when someone sees good work, they're willing to pay.

15. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

All of you fine taxidermist who can not bring your selves to mount a Bobcat need to send them on over to me.
    I don't mind at all, heck I have never been to good or to proud to work!
    Turn down work,,,I don't think so!
    The only jobs I have turned down were high end deer mounts cause I felt another local taxidermist was better qualified.
    I will do them all day for $350.00 and that is quality work.

16. Kim Owens

Amazing!!!

17. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Quit begging for work Charlie! I have people cry and bitch about $450 for bobcats because they say can get it done for $250 across the county. ???

18. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

Now Perry, I am not one to beg for anything!
    When a person places them selves in a category that proclaims that they are to good to work for honest wages it burns my ass.
    I retired when I was 45 years old and I can tell you that I didn't get there by begging, kissing ass or being to good to get my hands dirty!
    I do honest work for honest money and I am not out to under cut anybody!
    That really pisses me off!

19. Kim ,how in the heck do you only get a 65.00 profit out of that?

20. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Talflinger, I turn down the cats because I am a one man operation and simply cant do it all. I used to mount anything that came through the door. Now I am strickly deer and african game. No birds, cats, fish, ect. Would love to be able to mount everything but just can't anymore>