1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What was Today? National Bobcat............

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by pyeager1, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

So everyone else is loosing hundreds doing them, yea whatever.
    every time you say doing 'x' @ 60.00 per hour that is your profit. Its you wage you are charging yourself. Its not a cost its in the black column.

Realistic? in whose world no one is even coming close to those numbers and they are making money. People are asking to take those away from those who don't want to do them for less willingly.

plenty I shop around for quality and price.

I think you nailed it with you have good clients. You better hope they don't ever find out about this place and the taxidermists that charge up to 2/3 less and do quality work. More power to you I guess if you can.

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

REALISTIC?? How can you charge an hour for drying? And I know it takes longer than an hour to dry anyhow but why would you charge for the cat to sit there and dry, you would be working on some other mount while its drying..And 8 hours of sewing? That is a bit much dont you think? Neither of those charges seem realistic to me.
    I charge 600.00, I tan my own, and I make a decent profit. I should charge more, but I do like doing them and wish I had more come in.. Least they are interesting :) Next year I may go up simply to keep up with the cost of the supplies/shipping etc. If you figure you only make 65 proft on a cat charging 1050... Why would you bother? Thats ALOT of work for a measley 65.00...
    And as Riverdale pointed out, 60.00 an hour is your wage, minus pge and what not you are making a nice profit on the cats..
    You dont count your wages as an expense...

3. At that hourly rate and with those numbers you could only do 4 in a good week, and only make 260.00 for that week........how do they do it. Thats Ghetto wages......rurnt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Rae, I think her drying was blow drying, but I could be wrong. And the 8 hours sewing, I believe included prepping form, altering (which takes me forever and a day) sewing holes mounting then sewing seam, but again I could be wrong.

When I asked a while back if anyone thought I'd lose customers making a $95 jump on cats, I found out that there are a lot of taxis out there charging a grande or more for a cat. I'll try to find the link.

Also you need to figure in taxes, retirement, insurance (shop and medical), utlities, etc. When you get right down to it, I don't think the price is that far out there. I'd charge it if I could get it. You also have to realize they have a very well known name (I'm still trying to build mine).

5. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

$60 for drying- now that would be standing still in one place with a brush in my hand blowing and brushing the hair so it is dry and has alittle lift in it intsead of being flat and very dead-looking. I guess none of you have overhead? Electricity, building, gas, insurance, labor costs? Yes, my labor is in the $60 hour. I said PROFIT, not actual costs. One of these days in the not-so-distance future, we're gonna want to retire. It takes money to do that and that is is why you MUST make a profit. Why would I not count my wages as an expense, they are an expense.

6. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I'll quote George here, "You retire from life before you retire from being a taxidermist."

7. Kim Owens

Well, George already has one retirement check that hits his mailbox every month, so I gather what he's saying is now he can do taxidermy because he wants to, he doesn't necessarily have to. Somehow I don't think Danny's eyes or hands are going to work as well as they did when he was younger in a few years and we're still going to want to travel, eat and pay bills. I gather pyeager1 that you have another 'full time' job where you recieve good benefits?

8. Becky P

Exactly! If you had to pay someone else those wages, they would not be part of your profit.
    Hey, it only took me about 14 years to figure this out, LOL, wages and profit are two completely different critters - they are NOT the same.

9. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Hmmm, I'm learning from you gals. I like that idea, wages are not profit. Yes, I have insurance through my wife's employement.

10. Kim Owens

Thanks Becky- you've got it! It only took us about 14 years too. After all, we only got into taxidermy because we love to hunt and fish! LOL! I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard a taxidermist say that, then we could mount bobcats for $450! They fail to realize that why everyone else is hunting and fishing, they're in the shop skinning and mounting. We take in 90% of our business in 90 days- if we were gone hunting all the time, we would not be in the shop to take in the mounts.

11. Kim Owens

Also pyeager1, go back and read the post about pricing again, the 8 hours were for the actually mounting, not just the sewing. Still very realistic in my book.

12. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

That wasn't me questioning your hours worked. :)

13. Becky P

I also have insurance through my husband's job, otherwise I wouldn't be here, I'd be out there.

It's not an "idea", it's what it is. Look at it like this. The company my husband works (this works for everyone) pays him x/hour, as do they do everyone else, they pay most of his insurance and retirement, plus they have electricity, insurance, lawyers, water, etc. IF they only charged enough to pay for that stuff, then where do they MAKE their money, their profit? Every business makes a profit or they are not in business long. So they have to charge x amount or percentage over all those expenses in order to get a profit.

14. Kim Owens

Sorry, pyeager1, it was Royal Oaks, too early in the morning to be on this thing!

15. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

It's very simple - you take your costs- forms, eyes, etc. and mark that up, because you are buying it wholesale
    then take your labor rate- and you have to figure overhead into this, man hours at how much you want to make an hour, electricity, rent (yes even if it's in your basement you should pay the house rent)
    then add profit - usually a 40% mark up..
    that gives you your price for that mount

At the Surry Mini Course last year they had a "Figuring Cost" seminar, it was the least attended seminar there but it was amazing how many guys walked out of there scratching their heads. For those that think that they can't get better money for things, have you ever tried???? I thought that going up another $100 for deer, from last year, would drive away customers, but they actually increased. I have argued with other local taxis that they needed to go up, but they didn't think they could get more. After hearing about my success, some are looking at an increase next year.

16. Material cost.
    form, eyes, clay, tanning, etc.

Labor cost.
    Hourly rate, plus taxes and insurance, retirement times the hours you spend on the mount

Shop overhead.
    Electricty, heat, water, insurance, phone, advertising, equipment replacement, rent payment etc.

Continuing education.
    Seminars, shows, local college classes.

After all of that is PROFIT, this is whats left after everything is paid for out of each mount.

I know I missed a few things.

Yes I dont include many things at this time. like profit Continuing education.
    Seminars, shows, local college classes. but we are working on getting that fixed over the next couple years.

The 250 buck guy is not even making his wages not really covering his cost, its not going to take long if you do good work to raise those prices where they need to be.

17. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

i love doing them. they are just fun for me.

18. Xiahou

Like I said more power to you if you can get customers to pay that much. I am all for it if you can get it. 2 things though. 1 as I said you for now are lucky your customers are repeat long term and are not shopping around because as this thread has shown all so far are lower and many are more than willing to pick up the slack and not one a hack. 2. This wage vs profit in your context is accounting semantics, just a play on words. All the IRS sees is how much after costs and believe me if your own wage charged to yourself was deductable everyone would charge right up to the amount thats left after other true expenses. Whats in your pocket when you are done? the same amount if you charge yourself 1$ per hour or 60 when all is said and done. You used the examples of plumbers and mechanics earlier. I had an alternator put in the other day. He (mechanic his own boss) charged 40 dollars per hour wage and the cost of parts. Using your business math he made 0 profit. Yet somehow he has money in his pocket.

John, they are charging a shade less than double you at 1050.

Is thery're quality almost double? doubt it. How about the ones that said 375? are they they almost 3 times better? Sometimes we in the business part forget what it is to be on the other end. Joe Schmoe has a bobcat wants a quality mount done in this thread whom does he call. No one posting in this thread is a hack especially wa (bow before his stuff I do). Ive read in others how we (taxidermists) get annoyed when customers call around on pricing. Why shouldn't they? When you go shopping do you not compare prices. When picking your mechanic or plumber do you not shop around? When buying a care do you just buy the first that meets your needs rather that seeing if someone has the exact same thing for less? In this day and age of overnight shipping and the internet why would you not shop around?

Again, Hey you can get the people, good job. Whatever your doing keep it up. Plus hey those that do good work and charge less can thank you for all the extra work.
    sure if they have all kinds of employees if they don't and no one so far has said anything about this wage they are charging going to employees (which would change the entire thing and make it totally understandable) again the money in thier (the owner operator taxidermist) pocket at the end is the same as i said before if they charge their wage or don't.

Becky P quote
    imagine if you doubled (or more) that.

Unless ALL taxidermists do this how could it ever work. I hope it does but don't see how. Its capitalism. Sure you can get a hack but you can also find the guy (there seems to be plenty on here) who can do the work with quailty for less why would it be wrong for taxidermist or customer do work together?

19. Becky P

"sure if they have all kinds of employees if they don't and no one so far has said anything about this wage they are charging going to employees (which would change the entire thing and make it totally understandable) again the money in thier (the owner operator taxidermist) pocket at the end is the same as i said before if they charge their wage or don't."

But you ARE your employee. OK, forget that I'm my own employee, I hire somebody, what then? What if your mechanic had someone install your alt.? He charges $40 labor pays employee $10 + ins, overhead, etc., what's left over is Mr. Bossman's profit. So now Mr. Bossman is his own employee again, pays himself the $10 then pays the ins., overhead, etc. what's left = his profit.
    You have to pay yourself first - that's your wages, what's left is profit. Not a play on words, that's just the way it is.

20. Xiahou

thats why I specifically said