1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What was Today? National Bobcat............

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by pyeager1, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

Ya'll don't get it. I never said anyone 'made' $60 an hour. I said that was the labor costs. Meaning the shop rate. From that comes many other expenses. Things like building payment, electricity, equipment, gas for heating, insurance, retirement, etc. Our employee does not mount bobcats, Danny mounts each and every bobcat, but that really doesn't make any difference. When we started out 25 years ago we we charged $350 for a bobcat. The cost of living continues to raise for all of us. And don't be mistaken, Quallity is the only reason we can get that amount of money.

2. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

I have built two successful business, I have watched others in he same business become greedy or to big to take certain jobs and I have watched them fail.
    My main business principle has always been the KISS principal,,,Keep It Simple Stupid!
    Don't get greedy or above your raising, taxidermy is McDonald's and not a french restaurant.
    I am not going to ask some what their salon or studio charges to mount deer cause I may jump off my chair.
    My prices reflect what the market will bear and no more,. I do a good job and stay plenty busy.
    I make time to spend with my kids and fish and hunt, my shop my schedule!

3. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

Your right we Dont get it cause you NEVER SAID IT till now. Now its changing again. The wage has become labor costs which becomes the obvious write offs etc etc.
    I was closer with this than I realized. You know it would have said post after post when you kept seeing me mention "one person' when you had multiple involved. To easy I guess. Again I make so called crass comments about quality and then you put
    so how can one not equate that to you saying yours are 2-3 times better?

I leaving it. Like you said your blessed with good customers.

Yes you are. Not a doubt about it.

4. choo choo charlie

I need to get better with waterfowl so if I just raise my prices about triple I won't have to practice at all!
    The more you charge the better the quality!
    Wow I wish I had thought of that sooner!

5. grumpa

grumpa Member

Any normal person reading this thread will realize that the majority of taxidermists are total idiots , don't understand business and most can't spell profit, let alone comprehend or realize PROFIT. Kim is the only one who gets it.

6. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

A few of you are starting to get a wee bit defensive, lol, is it just me, or is it getting green in here? Charge whatever you are worth, thats the bottom line anywhere. If they wont pay it, why force it? But, why work for less, either...

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

That's the biggest line of Bull Sh it I have read on here in a loooooong time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If my customers want McDonalds they can take their deer to the $275 guy WHO HAS TO ADVERTISE HIS PRICE JUST TO GET F'ING BUSINESS!!!!!

I offer quality so like a restaraunt who PREFERS a BETTER clientele I charge more IN A SMALL TOWN at that. I don't want the guy with a Lone Star Card (food stamps) I'm sorry, he cannot support my tastes or lifestyle....plain & simple ;)

I don't equate it to that at all Riverdale, I equate it to her & Danny BUSTING their asses & becoming damn good!! And for your information, YES they are better than MOST! That's how the hell they get their price, they earned it!!

I have stayed out of this post & even tried to inject a little humor.....but enough is enough! Funny, I've been skinning 2 Bobcats & a porcupine I received yesterday & this morning. Here are the cost's, Bobcat #1 $850, Bobcat #2 $650, Porky $600

My cat's start at the very minimun $650 and go from there. I read the reference earlier that basically said to the point "You are blessed your customers haven't caught on" Trust me Riverdale THEY KNOW that they can get a Bobcat mounted for $350.....you know why??? Because the ones that are doing them for that price HAVE TO ADVERTISE that price just to get business!!

I like you & Choo Choo both, but i'm gonna tell you right now, there is a lot of money out there & people will spend it.

You made the comparison to a restaraunt (actually McDonald's) & I will equate that for you to the Taxidermy business. There is a little restaraunt 12 miles out of town that is basically the highest priced restaraunt in the county, I eat there every Sunday by myself at lunch after Church. For myself alone the bill is usually $25-30. BUT, they are consistent. If I go to one of the other restaraunts I never know what I will get, but at this place the service & food is impeccable. I no longer have to go to 5-6 different places trying to find a style I like, they have it & I am satisfied & willing to pay the extra KNOWING I will be happy. Same goes with customers, they are tired of taking their mounts to Taxidermists who may not be there next year or know how their work will turn out. They want to drop it off in confidence KNOWING they will get a good mount back.

Funny story & I will finish my rant. I got a Whitetail in from a prominent local business man last week, he was very proud of his mount & it is known it will be displayed in his business. He told me how 2 other low ballers had 1- offered to mount it for free & the other said he would do it "for $200 cheaper than Mike" He just chuckled & said "don't these guy's realize that i'm not trusting a $5000 deer to the lowest bidder!!" LMAO

8. choo choo charlie

I am pulling my saddle off cause I think this horse is just about dead boys!

9. michael p.

No, you know we are right & you can't argue with that!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D LMAO

10. choo choo charlie

Michael P. if you had any idea how many night I spend on the couch because of my inability to admit being wrong you would understand.
    I guess I will say that I understand some what.
    I train horses,fix problem horses and start colts, I charge more than most because I am better than most and I have a waiting list as long as I want it to be.
    So I can understand the reputation demanding higher prices.
    Besides I would much rather mount fish than Bobcats! LOL

11. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ;D

12. choo choo charlie

Perry is bumping his numbers! LOL

13. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

look who started this post to begin with? ;D

14. michael p.

You just hit the nail on the head ;)

No Choo-Choo.......that's the sound that Perry makes at night while dreaming about stump breaking Cecil! ;D LMAO!

15. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

You miss Cecil don't ya Michael? ???

16. choo choo charlie

That was bad,,, I have to be nice cause I make to many trips to Alabama and don't want to get my ass whooped! LOL

17. choo choo charlie

I will blame it all on the pain drugs! they are making me delusional!
    I actually agreed to take my girlfriend to see Phantom of the Opera! Wonder if they have Bud lite LOL

18. Michael P, I would definitely be charging 1050 for that porker.CHOO CHOO---350 for a bobcat is a hack price.My great grandmother makes more weaving dolies.

19. choo choo charlie

Isn't that illegal? She should leave the dollies alone! LOL

20. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Riverdale here's you a link to some that charge MORE than Kim and Danny and that thread is the complete opposite to this one http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,41750.0.html