1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What was Today? National Bobcat............

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by pyeager1, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I see that no different than the taxes that are taken out of your check when you work for someone else.
    But you still need to figure in profit ON TOP of wages for a BUSINESS to make money - not necessarily you but the business, but essentially you are one and the same.
    (this was in your link - Self-employment tax (SE tax) is a social security and Medicare tax primarily for individuals who work for themselves. It is similar to the social security and Medicare taxes withheld from the pay of most wage earners.)

BTW, WHY would you NOT want to get more for your mounts if you can? Suppose you are charging $350 and they give you a $200 tip, would you take it or refuse it ???

2. Becky P

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,65291.0/topicseen.html
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,65216.0.html

3. Low prices are why those same people are buying shop equipment out of their pocket. Thats why many of them say going to a taxidermy competiton dont mean anything, thats also why they have to advertise lies about being certified.

Yesterday a newbie called wanting a job, guess his low dollar deerheads did not pay off. Along with that he calims to be "CERTIFIED" he is not a member of the state assoc, nor the NTA. so I ask "WHO CERTIFIED YOU?" all I heard was click.

Choo Choo, lets compare horse training a bit. I am sure you know who John Lyons is and probabley who Richard Shrake is. I have attended many horse training clinics and worked at one of Johns Symposiums. My X-wife can tell you that Richard use to call me a couple times per month. I also spent 18 months learning John Lyons methods of training under Wendy Hilton Smith at Cornerstone Training Center in Texas.

When I was a kid I trained some horses and ponys, but I did it Grandpas way, not always the easiest I can tell you.

The other cowboys around here are charging $200. to 300. per month for training and thats not an honest 30 days of training. I have people call me weekly wanting me to train their horses or fix their horses problems. Problems other cowboys have allowed the horse to learn and get away with. I dont fix problems I train horses, they almost crap their pants when I tell them the horse will be started from scratch. My charge for starting a horse is $1300.00 per month. I dont care if I get any horses to train, but if I do they are not gong to buck, bite or kick, they will never run away with you, they direct reins and have emergency brakes on both sides, they give their head and disengage their hips even at full speed.

I dont cowboy any horse, it all starts with ground work and trust. Why should I risk injury for any less? I have trained some horses that other trainers claimed cannot be trained. Hell I have a horse here now that has been called the crazy mare by everyone thats handled her, today she is 100% ridable and can be handled by anyone. Never did I raise a hand to her, she reaered and would strike, she tried to bite, she would try to kick. No more. three other trainers or cowboys if you will had handled her.

Why work for less???? if yo are working for less you either are not as good as you could be or don't know business.

You have to offer something, Quality or quanity. there is only so much time in a day you only can work so fast. Youth only last so long and then quanity is going to slow down.

You and everyone else has taken up taxidermy for some reason. Maybe its you could not afford good taxidermy some years back. If thats the case why are you truning out less than your best now?

Maybe its because some taxidermist hacked up your once in a lifetime trophy, so why hack up someones elses trophy.

Our business has grown fantasticlly this year. My wife, son are involved and they say we need to go up on prices again. we are $130.00 higher than the other guys on deerheads $465.00, we went to $12.00 per inch on fish, thats way above the other taxidermist. they are 5 to 8 an inch. We went up on small game, to $575.00, thats way above most locals but not as high as one. Our work is not as good as that one who is higher Brian Harness work speaks for its self.

Does than mean we should drop back to the other locals prices? Noway!!! We are here for the long haul, I have been doing this for 30 years and my interest goes way back to when mom worked just down the block from Jonas Bros in Denver.

So why drop back to prices from 20 years ago? That dont make sense!!!!

If your skills are not such as you think you cannot charge enough, then get some taxidermy education. After 30 years I am still learning. I spent a small amount of time looking at two live bobcats a couple weeks ago. I have seen these cats before but it opened new insights my son was there and the teaching mode kicked in and when I was trying to teach him somethings I learned a lot too. Then the cat master walked up to feed the cats. We learned so much more!!!

Bobcat pupils do some really neat things that change instantly with attitude. What we learned was that if your going to mount a cat, your pupils better be right for that attitude.

We caught a grey fox and have it in a cage and its pupils do the samething as the cats.

I knew I did not know everything, but now I know how little I really do know.

I have seen the samething in fish, attitude cahnges everything.

So maybe as taxidermist we need change our attitude.

Taxidermy is a luxury, its an ego trip for the hunter/fisherman we need to learn to do our best work and charge for it.

4. Christie

Christie Instructor, Consultant & Speaker

Thanks for the great post, Kim. It always amazes me how people can sit there and complain about not being paid enough for their work (didn't we just have a post about "lowballers and hacks"?), but then are quick to put down anyone who actually has a plan and a profit.

Being self-employed, where your business(es) are your sole source of income, it's extremely important to ensure that you're maximizing your profit while minimizing your costs. If we don't do it ourselves, there isn't anyone else out there who will do it for us. The idea that you can't charge those "high" prices is false and contagious, and is just the insecurity talking. So if someone was going to pay me $1,000,000.00 for something that cost me $10, I would do it, I'd be proud of it, and I'd see if I could do it again.

5. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

John C. I do taxidermy because I enjoy doing taxidermy, there is nothing that I do in life that I do not do my very best at.
    I am sure that in your own mind you are an above average Taxidermist and charge accordingly, that is fine.
    I have watched many "certified trainers" come and go and I have fixed many of their mistakes, I am certain that by dropping names you concider yourself an above average "horse trainer", again I can not say cause I have not seen you work.
    I can tell you that I train for real world conditions, roping horses, trail horses and using horses, not ideal arena conditions.
    You don't need to pump up your over inflated ego by telling me how good of a trainer you are or you could be, I have never belittled or even commented on your taxidermy work so why do you feel the need to present your self as a better anything than I am.
    I don't remember involving you and I resent your opinion that my work in any field is less than professional.
    I don't consider myself below average at anything that I do, I retired at 45 to a comfortable life because I work hard at what I do and I do a good job at everything I do.
    I will continue to start colts this spring like always, I will fix problem horses and problem horse owners and I will have to do it with out ever talking to MR. Shrake or attending one of John Lyons Clinics.

6. Becky P

Choo Choo, I'm not defending John, but I didn't read it the way you did. I read it as since you do a good job, why not get paid well for it.
    I think we've all started taking this thread a little too personal.

7. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Y'all leave Charlie alone, his back hurts. ;)

8. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

LOL, No pain Perry, I got the pills buddy!

No more post though, this has already cost me 14 friends and a L/S coyote mount.
    A guy called today and asked if I would do it, I said sure,,,, for $750.00 he said a bad thing and hung up on me.
    I didn't want to skin another stinking coyote any way! LOL

9. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

I just read this entire thread for the first time, pretty entertaining. I had a client leave my shop 1 hour ago. He dropped off a grey fox for a closed mouth pedestal mount, like the one on the McKenzie poster. I charged him $400. And there's people doing lifesize bobcats for less than that, your high! No doubt most taxidermists are horrible business men.

10. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

That is too funny, but you can't make them see that. I charge $350 closed mouth and should go up. Never thought about bringing that up to some of my local taxidermists.

11. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I get so sick of everybody saying taxidermist are bad business people. Barbers, are the ones that need some training. When I told my local barber that 5 bucks was too cheap and democrates would gladly pay $400 he just started to cry. "Stop selling yourself short" I told him. "Your lowballing", and pissing off those high end barbers".

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Choochoo, you better stay off the pain meds, or Ill rename you kookoo. John was relating to you and making a point, no way showing you up. Look, first you do inexpensive cats and defend it, saying you love doing them, then you say youd rather do fish any day, now you read something like that in what John wrote? I hear little man syndrome. I think we just all witnessed you going nuts. Lol, now take that for what its worth, and know I was kidding, but at the same time...which one is it???