1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

my second flying pheasant

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by monbuck8, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Here's a pic of my second flying pheasant I have done. Ive done quite a few standing, but am now working on doing some flying ones. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. Wow monbuck8, looks very clean! Feathers look great as well. Two thumbs up from me ;D

3. Very Nice :)

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

That's a nice bird. A few comments, however. One, the neck ring band looks as if it's stained. Perhaps just the picture. Now the rest is just PERSONAL PREFERENCE. I never bend the wings forward like that. It's really not natural. Because of the breast bone, birds actually fly with their "elbows" tucked in. You try it. Hold your arms straight out and wave them as fast and long as you can. Now, tuck your elbows into your sides and try it. Much easier, huh? This will also close the wing down so the secondaries make a nice arc across the back.

The tail would look much better closed slightly. The bands on the tail feathers will produce a nice curved effect while spread apart, it's not noticeable.

Finally, the head. I like my birds looking as if they're watching the sky above them and not looking back over their shoulders. Tip the beak up to give this effect. I also like to pull the "ears" out where they can be seen.

Most of that, again, is personal preference. Your bird looks quite good to only be your second.

5. waterdude

waterdude You gotta KILL IT... before you can GRILL IT!

Looks great Monbuck, I agree with George but its your preference..Tuck the "elbows" to complement the secondarys...Close up the tail a little...Tip the beak and give him a little ear job ..
    Just recommendations...Your bird looks great! Congrats on the flyer!!! Any customer would be pleased with that one.....Great Job!!!

6. DiamondDave

DiamondDave New Member

Really nice.

7. Thanks for all the great feedback. You have a good eye George. Yes the ring is blood stained somewhat. I probably could have done some things to remove that, but being it was my second flyer, I did not. I am happy with the way it turned out. Here is a pic of my third one I did for my brother. He has not seen it yet. Do you think he will like?
    [​IMG]

8. waterdude

waterdude You gotta KILL IT... before you can GRILL IT!

A soft rag dampened with 3% hydrogen peroxide then wiped with a water wet rag will remove the blood stain on the neck band. The tail looks much more natural on the second mount..
    Looks like you are having fun!!! Enjoy!!! waterdude